Trolley Jack Warning

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Paul Blore

Trolley Jack Warning

Post by Paul Blore »

I have an aluminium low-profile "race" trolley Jack that I bought about 6 years ago because it would fit under the Cobra. It is rated at 4000LB and has metallic red side plates. It is probably the same as many of you are using.

The last time I used it, I had lifted the car and was just about to reach under to position an axle stand when the Jack suddenly and without warning failed, immediately dropping the car to the ground. I tried to raise the Jack, but the handle just kept rotating and wouldn't lock out. I had more important work to do on the car at the time, so I borrowed another one and continued working.

This afternoon I decided to take a look to see what had failed. Once dismantled, it was pretty clear. The handle rotates to lock and unlock the Jack so that it can be lowered. When rotated clockwise, it simply screws a shut-off valve closed. Unfortunately, the threads are very fine and are cut into the aluminium body and they had stripped, immediately releasing the shut-off valve.

There is very little load on the threads as they are never really tightened, so why they should have failed so completely is a puzzle. But please bear this in mind if you are using one of these jacks, which incidentally, are made in China.

I carried on stripping down the Jack and removed the main side plates. The plastic caps that seal off the ends of the oil reservoirs had quite literally turned to mush (see image).

The oil is the original oil, so nothing has been added that could affect the caps. I have no idea what they're made of, but they clearly aren't suitable.

If you're using one of these Chinese made jacks, I suggest you check it over and certainly don't put yourself in any position where your wellbeing is depending on it.

I need to buy myself a new Jack, but it won't be coming from China.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chriskcode

Re: Trolley Jack Warning

Post by chriskcode »

Paul, thanks for the warning, that could have been really nasty.

I need to buy a new low profile jack (my last one from Machine Mart lasted about 2yrs, big old heavy things these mustangs) but trying to find a decent one amongst all of the Chinese tat is not easy.

Anybody have any recommendations on a decent manufacturer ?
Chris
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Trolley Jack Warning

Post by clive »

I too have one of these aluminium race jacks but I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it especially if there is any chance of sideways motion. I have an old 3.5 ton high lift jack which goes down to about four inches and easily gets under the 289 and BMW sport.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)