Headlight dip switch

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Headlight dip switch

Post by peterc »

I am currently trying to correct my dash board to have the correct looking knobs.
Does anyone know what type of headlight dip switch was used back in 1964.
I currently use a plain pull/ push switch with a scalloped knob. Somewhere I think I have seen a picture of a P6 Rover looking extended stick that combines dip with flash.
Also did the originals have a fan switch? I thought the engine fan was engine driven not electric. Not to be confused with the heater switch.
Peter C
Roger King

Re: Headlight dip switch

Post by Roger King »

Peter,

All factory street 289s had a single electric fan, which was controlled purely by a thermostatic switch in the bottom hose manifold. This was a bimetallic Otter switch which I have spent a stupid amount of money researching to arrive at modern internals fitted in a correct switch housing (originals are completely unobtainable). The manifold can be seen in my articles and was also a few hundred quid to replicate.
Anyhow, there was no switch override for manual operation. I have fitted a period pull switch to my dash to do this as it fills a redundant corner of the dash and looks right. With modern traffic, it's well worth having an override facility anyway.
From the factory all 289s had the 'mechanical' 4-blade pressed steel fan fitted to the water pump pulley. This was a very rare part, used only on the 1963-4 Mercury Comet V8 and very hard to find today. All others (Mustang etc.) will not fit as the blades are a tad too long and foul the chassis diagonal tubes in a Cobra. The factory instructions were to retain this fan for the running-in period and then remove, but several cars (e.g. COB6029, John Haynes' car) still have it. Dan Case in the US (CSX2310) advised using this fan, as for an original 289 it makes all the difference between being able to sit in stationary traffic without overheating, or not. I can vouch for the truth of this.

Headlamp dipswitch was Rover P6, mounted to the tubular dash support behind the dash to the right of the steering wheel on a RHD car. This functions as dipswitch up and down, and headlamp flash when pulled against the spring towards the column. See Rinsey Mills' Original AC Ace and Cobra. Getting hard to find these now, too. LHD cars did something different.

However, you have an FIA, if I remember correctly. Surely the dash is completely different from a street car - were there any RHD FIAs??

Roger
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Roger,
Looking on the web for dash design of 289's they don't seem to mention the dip/flash switch but do mention a fan switch.
Thanks for reminding me that Rinsey Mills book ( page 73) shows the P6 switch. A few for sale on eBay at the moment so I will now proceed accordingly.
I do have a fan override for one of the radiator fans hidden under the dash on RH side and do switch it on as precautionary measure if stuck in traffic.
If I can get the P6 switch then after amalgamating the dip/ flash actions I will have a spare hole so might bring the rad fan switch up into the dash with suitable scalloped knob.
Yes, of course you are correct that an FIA would have had a different dash with more toggle switches but then mine also has carpets and many other non correct FIA details. I just think it would look better with a full set of engraved scalloped knobs as per the road car. Of course mine will never ever be correct with a Rover engine under the bonnet!
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

If you're going with correct street look, don't forget that the main beam warning light was a red lens below the needle hub in the tachometer dial.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

...Of course, you could always go the 39PH route, and have a foot dip-switch mounted on the dash! (NOT for foot operation in that location!)

Just visible on the L/H side of the dash, under steering wheel:

I never understood why AC didn`t use the VW flasher switch on the stalk...I`m thinking of converting mine over the winter. :idea:
In fact, I`d love to replicate that dashboard completely. 8)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Roger, Is this the same type of OTTER SWITCH?

...With modern internals:

Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

nikbj68 wrote:I never understood why AC didn`t use the VW flasher switch on the stalk...I`m thinking of converting mine over the winter. :idea:
Can you elaborate Nik?

On 427's and presumably also 289 Sports, the button on the VW column stalk is used as the headlight dip toggle. However, I'd like to wire mine so that it will flash the main beam when the headlights are turned off.

Or are we talking about the same thing? :)

Paul
Karl

Post by Karl »

Paul, that is how my lights are working since the beginning. You need a special relay for that. When you need it I will look for the type/number.
Karl
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

On production Cobras, the button on the back of the VW indicator stalk operated the horn.

If using the original (Rover) switch, this will flash the headlamp main beam if pressed sideways, lights on or not. All lighting and horn circuits on a Cobra are live without the ignition on. The wiring diagram I have for 427/MkIII indicates a normal up/down toggle switch for dim/dip, as in 289, but it's hard to tell from a wiring diagram. There's no relays involved.

No Nik, that's the Ace Otter switch arrangement and housing which is completely different. The Cobra one was similar to that used in Jaguars (and probably others) of the period. One or two Jag parts suppliers can still supply the housing, but Jags used the switch in the top hose position whereas Cobras had it in the lower hose so the temperature range is wrong. I've discovered a way of converting them to a different bimetallic internal switch, which makes it work with a bit of experimentation. The difficult bit is making the housing to contain the switch. All described in painful detail in the Club magazine articles.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Roger,

I'd be interested to see that wiring diagram Roger, because that isn't as I understand it. 427 Cobras had a separate horn push-button on the dashboard and the button on the stalk toggled the dip and main.

Paul