Headlight dip switch

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Headlight dip switch

Post by StewbieC »

I know it's not original, but having driven a 60's landrover with a foot operated dip switch you realise how much of a total pain in the butt it is to try and find a toggle switch or otherwise on the dash board when it's pitch black. Roads where I live are mostly without street lamps and are just busy enough to require constant switching between main and dipped beam.
So this winter I'll mostly be fitting one similar to the one in my landrover.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Stewbie,
As it happens I have an old Lucas foot mounted dip switch but didn't think that there was sufficient space for it. I have used that type many times in old Austin's and it works well providing you are not in the middle of a gear change?
I felt that a switch close to the steering wheel diameter would be more easily accessed by the finger tips and certainly better than my current push switch on the dash which could be mistaken for another. I now have the P6 switch in question and just need to work out how to mount it at the correct angle to protrude through an existing hole!
Also got to see how it dismantles to get the stalk through the relatively small hole.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

You just pull the end off, Peter.

The Mustang's interesting when it comes to pedals. They have six functions... from the right, throttle, brake, clutch, dipswitch, flickwipe and screenwash.
Bit like playing a church organ if it's raining at night.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I'll concede the point about the lack of headlight relay. :wink:

I need to investigate further.

Paul
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Roger,
I can see that the plastic end is pushed onto a spline but I was concerned that it might breakup.

I have used the floor wash/wipe before but not with a dip switch as well. At least the footwell is a little bigger than the Cob.
Peter C