Fire extinguishers

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
IainS

Re: Fire extinguishers

Post by IainS »

Interesting comment about cam break in Roger. Breaking in my new 268H I had a nice cherry glow to the collector in each manifold. Somewhat disconcerting and melted the boot on the starter cable....but no real harm done. Love the sound of the new cam :D I always keep an extinguisher to hand at such times...

Iain
Roger King

Re: Fire extinguishers

Post by Roger King »

IainS wrote:Interesting comment about cam break in Roger. Breaking in my new 268H I had a nice cherry glow to the collector in each manifold. Somewhat disconcerting and melted the boot on the starter cable....but no real harm done. Love the sound of the new cam :D I always keep an extinguisher to hand at such times...

Iain
That's pretty typical for a cam break-in. Just be sure the ignition's not too retarded, it needs to be as far advanced as comfortable at those revs (should be between 2500-3000 for 20-30mins). As long as it's not pinking, the further advanced you can run it the cooler it will run. Do your 'proper' ignition timing once it's broken in - DO NOT let it idle during the process. I try to run an external fan as you would on a rolling road, the bigger the better.