Bonnet/boot rubbers

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
IainS

Bonnet/boot rubbers

Post by IainS »

Hi, all

Which make/profile/suppliers are recommended for the bonnet and boot rubbers? I assume they're both the same?

Thanks in advance
Iain
Roger King

Re: Bonnet/boot rubbers

Post by Roger King »

Iain, it's pretty much standard adhesive cellular neoprene strip, Woolies will have it but I usually just buy a roll of it from Gerry. Very easy, just cut and stick on. Make sure you leave the correct gaps, though!
IainS

Post by IainS »

Thanks Roger. So I assume it's the same material as I have now on the car in numerous short lengths? When you say leave the correct gaps....what do you mean?

Iain
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

IainS wrote:Thanks Roger. So I assume it's the same material as I have now on the car in numerous short lengths? When you say leave the correct gaps....what do you mean?

Iain
Well... I don't know what you have on the car at the moment! The buffer strip does not go all the way around the bonnet, or the boot, apertures. I can't remember offhand where it stops but will check and let you know.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I thought the boot rubber went all the way round, but the bonnet only has two relatively short lengths (I'm guessing at around 12") around each rear corner.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Having come in for a lot of stick regarding this with the US owners on the Originality Forum, I did a fair bit of research and took advice from 3 'original' owners, so as far as I can tell from this: the front sponge strip goes all the way around the bonnet aperture but stops roughly at each hinge support, leaving a run of about 16-18" across the front that has no strip. At the rear it's similar, going right around the boot aperture apart from about 12-14" at the base, lining up pretty accurately with the rearmost corners of the hexagonal spare wheel well.
Don't ask me why - the front in particular would have let water in, I'd have thought - but that's how it seems to have been done by the factory.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I wonder if this is a 289-427 difference issue again.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The red 427 in Rinsey Mills' book looks pretty much the same as the 289, for what that's worth.
IainS

Post by IainS »

Many thanks for the posts, crikey I hadn't realised the gaps on originals. Will take a good look at my RM bible tonight :wink:

But to answer Rogers question about what's on there now, it's just a few small strips Gerry adds when supplying the body kit, pretty sure it's the same stuff.

Iain
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Ah, hadn't realised you were still at that stage Iain.
Yes, exactly the same stuff, Gerry sells it by the roll, enough for the bonnet, boot and both doors. Just cut to length and stick on. The adhesive seems to last very well.
You're not the only one who hadn't realised there were gaps. That, however, was one of the cheaper 'corrections'...