Instrument lighting

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Re: Instrument lighting

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:All older aircraft I have flown didn't have instrument lighting, but a red cockpit light which illuminated the instruments. Red light doesn't affect night vision as much as white light and doesn't reflect on windscrenns.
Reminds me of when my dad used to instruct in a Miles Magister - training for flying by instruments consisted of erecting a small tent over the student's (forward) cockpit, so he couldn't see.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote:
clive wrote:All older aircraft I have flown didn't have instrument lighting, but a red cockpit light which illuminated the instruments. Red light doesn't affect night vision as much as white light and doesn't reflect on windscrenns.
Reminds me of when my dad used to instruct in a Miles Magister - training for flying by instruments consisted of erecting a small tent over the student's (forward) cockpit, so he couldn't see.
Just to expand a little bit Roger, it was to stop the student seeing outside, not to stop him seeing! :shock:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:
Roger King wrote:
Just to expand a little bit Roger, it was to stop the student seeing outside, not to stop him seeing! :shock:
Der...

You can still get those big 2" chrome dash lights that pull out to illuminate all the instruments, Holden and no doubt others do them. Go on, Clive, you know you want to.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I don't think so Roger. I do a fair bit of night driving in my 289 and find the instrument lighting adequate if not brilliant. I do however find I'm looking at my speedo more these days due to the increased number of speed cameras.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
monster7

Post by monster7 »

Roger King wrote: I've tried LEDs in my Hawk, and personally didn't like them - the light was too harsh and, to my mind, detracted from the nice 'warm' appearance of the traditional dash lighting. I also found that the far more directional light from LEDs did not work well with old Lucas instruments, as the light couldn't radiate to where it was really needed.
Then you may used the wrong once. There are leds which spread the light like normal bulps or in a more focused way. You can also have cold and warm light. I changed because of their longlifety
Kind regards, Ronald
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Further investigation reveals that the overall dimension of the LED variants can vary between manufacturers. Having had problems with the standard bulb interfering with the bourdon tube of the temp gauge I am aware that I don't want a 28mm long bulb when my existing ones are 22 /23 mm.
Even Mr Halfords sell items 25/26 mm long so beware of buying without confirmation of dimensions.

The ' bettercarlighting ' guy has sent me a photo of his version alongside a standard 501 bulb so although it's a bit more expensive once you have added the P& P and VAT it maybe a better chance of fitting correctly. He states it sends the light sideways which would advantageous with instruments.he recommends warm white to give a period look.

His opinion is also that instruments should not be fitted with 5w bulbs due to the extra heat and that the 2.2w items are the correct fitting.
Peter C
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Some time back - can't remember when or where- I posted a link to LED tape that sticks around the inside each instrument case so that the light is fully spread. Better option that LED bulbs maybe. Just been poking around on the floor of my daily driver Merc since that has blue lighting from the bottom edges of the dashboard and all the door cappings. Looks like something very similar. Also has the aircraft type cockpit lighting that Clive mentioned for some of the controls.

Robin
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Having discussed instrument lighting with an ex helicopter crewman/ navigator I now believe that there is a big difference in requirements between aircraft and cars.
When flying at night and looking into a black abyss it's critical that you must maintain your highest level of night vision to be able to look for potential obstructions so the instrument lighting needs to be quite subdued and helicopters were using green lighting.
When driving there is generally light all around and you need to be able to read the speedo at a quick glance especially with the increasing number of speed cameras. I have now tested a green and a warm white LED and have decided that the warm white version makes the gauge easier to read than the green so a full set are now on order. Of course it also mimics a filament bulb being warm white.
Amazingly the supplier has also offered to swop if I feel I have made a mistake and want another colour.
Peter C