289 HiPo run in

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Paul Blore

Re: 289 HiPo run in

Post by Paul Blore »

You can still get oils with high zinc (ZDDP) content. I generally use Valvoline VR1, but be warned, there are at least as many different opinions on oil as there are on running in procedures. :wink:

Paul
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Hi Mark,

I would have thought you'd only need a high zinc additive if you have to 'break-in' the cam. If that's been done for you, your supplier should also be able to send you the numbers recorded from the dyno'.

For £500 and piece of mind, my rebuilt, imported engine went on the dyno' at EDA (Kenny Coleman), before I installed it.

For the same reason mentioned by Paul, I use the Valvoline VR1 (mineral) oil.

Phil
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I use Fuchs Titan full ester synthetic 15W50, which has more than adequate ZDDP according to their tech department. Massively better cold-start protection than any mineral oil and much better film strength in thin film, and protection to much higher temperatures. I did my initial break-in with 20W50 mineral oil then switched at 500 miles. My machine shop in the US recommended this as the work was done to closer tolerances than it would have been in the sixties, and in his words 'why pay for all that expensive machining work and then not take advantage of modern oil technology?'
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

catsx11 wrote:To add to your choices there is - Kendall GT-1 High Performance 20W-50
http://www.kendallmotoroils.com/racing- ... motor-oil/
If it's good for Cheng's cars then it's good for mine!
I'm sure that's fine, the spec looks good - but just a little word of warning - what's good for racing is often not good for the road, which goes for every component, not just oil!