Wheel spinner torque

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Wheel spinner torque

Post by COX5012 »

I've just ordered a spinner removal tool from Oldtimertools.com to try an avoid damaging my wheels again with the hammer. Does anybody know what torque the spinners need when refitting the spinners?
Vince
Paul Blore

Re: Wheel spinner torque

Post by Paul Blore »

The best tool I've used so far is a lead mallet. It doesn't matter how many times you miss the spinner, you won't damage the wheel.

As to the correct torque, I haven't got a clue I'm afraid.

Paul
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

The spinner was on so tight I had to really use a lot of force to release it. I was using a mallet with a soft copper head and caught the edge of the rim on the down stroke and managed to damage it. I've asked Gerry if he has a replacement wheel but he hasn't at the moment. The tool I've ordered is what Gerry uses so it should solve my problem. Vince
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The manual says not to use a torque wrench.
https://www.oldtimertools.de/out/media/ ... Manual.pdf

I must admit I have always used the cloth side of a Thor hammer, which trashes the cloth over time but keeps the spinner unmarked. Done this for 40 years now but quite fancy one of these tools, so might order one too.
I was hoping to get one of the tools made by the guy who appeared on here some time back, but despite the odd nudge nothing seems to be happening and as he was making them in his spare retirement time I don't want to push. The German one looks a good price though, although it's a pain having to buy a 3/4" drive bar to use it. My entire tool chest is a mix of 3/8" or 1/4" drive, so it'll feel huge!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The problem with the Thor mallets is not so much the copper or hide, but the steel head the holds both materials. If you miss-hit, the steel head can make contact and damage the wheel.

I'll stick with my very used looking lead mallet.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

catsx11 wrote:
COX5012 wrote:I've just ordered a spinner removal tool from Oldtimertools.com to try an avoid damaging my wheels again with the hammer. Does anybody know what torque the spinners need when refitting the spinners?
Vince
If you do a search on here you'll find a lot of info, great tips and a similar tool that is custom made for a lot less money!
Don't think you will, as mentioned in my post!
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

I think I must have caught the wheel with the steel hammer body. I've had a look on the forum and there is quite a lot about spinner removal. I can't find anything here about torque. Having just done a google search I've got torques ranging from 250n to 400 so I think I will go somewhere in the middle, around 350n.
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

Unless anyone has anything definitive.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I reckon somewhere between 'a good lean' and 'not too much' just about sums it up.

Period videos of mechanics changing race wheels is always entertaining!

Just watch that front wheel, and how long it takes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRy_73ivcms

Happy hitting, chaps!