Wheel spinner torque

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Wheel spinner torque

Post by COX5012 »

I saw a similar incident in the garage at the Silverstone Classic this summer. The mechanic was changing the wheels on 39PH and had to give it some very hefty whacks with a big mallet, the only difference is that it's much harder when your spinners are recessed as they are on mine. 39 PH was either on steel rims or wires, I can't remember exactly which but he had no problem connecting with the spinners.
Vince
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

With the rears being so dished you must have the wheel touching the ground when you hit the spinner otherwise you put all the shock into the wheel bearing. I learnt the hard way and ended up needing new outer bearings.
When the wheel is in the air merely tap the spinner to ensure the wheel is positioned correctly before lowering the car and finish tightening.
As Roger has suggested by using a felt headed mallet that you should not need to use excessive force to tighten otherwise you will only be stretching the thread.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It also depends what material your wheels/hubs/spinners are constructed from. My hubs are mild steel, the spinners bronze(??) and the wheels, including the splined centre, are stainless steel. I have to be a little more careful as stainless galls easily, with potential difficulty in removal.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Roger, you should be OK if the StStl is mating with a different metal. The worst combination is an 316 aero tite nut tightening onto a 316 bolt. I have had serious problems in that direction where it all seizes up as if it's been welded. Even changing the nut to a different grade of StStl should resolve the galling but CS should be no problem at all.
I think my spinners are St Stl and I use copper grease to help protect the mating surface of the wheel center.

Peter C
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

COX5012 wrote:I saw a similar incident in the garage at the Silverstone Classic this summer. The mechanic was changing the wheels on 39PH and had to give it some very hefty whacks with a big mallet, the only difference is that it's much harder when your spinners are recessed as they are on mine. 39 PH was either on steel rims or wires, I can't remember exactly which but he had no problem connecting with the spinners.
Vince
39PH doesn't come out to play in pits any more, and has spent it's entire life (post -Le Mans '63) on Halibrands, so I suspect what you saw was the Martin Hunt/ Patrick Blakeney-Edwards Cobra, 24TH:

Photo borrowed from the HOONIVERSE.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

You are absolutely correct, I remembered it being a red Cobra and wrongly assumed it was 39PH. Thanks for putting the record straight. Strangely I woke in the night last night wondering if I'd got it wrong!!
Regards
Vince
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

COX5012 wrote:You are absolutely correct, I remembered it being a red Cobra and wrongly assumed it was 39PH. Thanks for putting the record straight. Strangely I woke in the night last night wondering if I'd got it wrong!!
Regards
Vince
Ah, that's it, you can now be officially diagnosed as having Cobra disease. Welcome to the fold. Together, we can beat this thing.*

*no we can't, I've been trying for years.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Roger King wrote: Together, we can beat this thing.*
Beat it? I thought our sole purpose was to nurture it! :lol: :wink:
(At least, it sounds like she says 'our sole' when my missus catches me on the forum for the umpteenth time this week! :oops:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:
Roger King wrote: Together, we can beat this thing.*
Beat it? I thought our sole purpose was to nurture it! :lol: :wink:
(At least, it sounds like she says 'our sole' when my missus catches me on the forum for the umpteenth time this week! :oops:
Oh dear Nik, you've obviously got a bad case. Time we set up Cobras Anonymous, I guess. We can all sit in a circle and tell each other about our Cobra history - you know, stuff like we always have the same beer in the curry house just because of the name etc.
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

Oh dear, all this sounds so very familiar, I do believe I've caught a bug!