Inboard brake maintenance

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
monster7

Inboard brake maintenance

Post by monster7 »

First off all, a very happy new year to the Register, all the best for 2017 8) !

I tried to find some information about the maintenance effort inboard brakes will take in a Hawk. My feeling is that this will be a pita...
What i found is a lot about conversion to the outboard setup, brake pads etc. Is the outboard setup a must have i have to think about? The car will be "raced" a very little, if at all. Maybe some hill climbing in the Swiss Mountains :)
Thank you for your feedback!
Kind regards, Ronald
monster7

Re: Inboard brake maintenance

Post by monster7 »

So, maybe i was too unclear or noby have an inboard setup :roll:
I'll try it again:
- how "easy" is maintenance of an inboard setup, e.g. change pads or brake fluid change? Do i have to dismantle half of the car or is it good managable? A car lift is available...
Or should i think of an outboard conversion right from the start (meaning in my case as long as the car is in UK :wink: )?
Kind regards, Ronald
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Ronald,
There is probably only 2-3 owners who have gone to the trouble of converting to outboard rear discs as it's quite an expense.
It's seen as making the car more authentic rather than a necessity for maintenance.
I have not had to change the main pads at the rear but have needed to get the handbrake pads out to be cleaned up prior to an MOT.
Yes, the access is restricted but not impossible. If you are building a Hawk with the Jag rear suspension then ensure that you add the return springs to the handbrake operating levers to ensure that they return properly and not stick thus glazing up the pads. My ability to hold the car on a hill became compromised until I added those springs.
Peter C
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

I built my car with a Jag XJ6 rear diff (inboard brakes)' As I envisaged it might be difficult to get at the pads etc in the future, I built inspection panels into the rear bulkhead. This means I can remove the seats and the panels and get reasonable access for servicing pads etc.
In addition I added an extension piece to the calipper bleed nipples which makes bleeding the brakes a doddle.
Its the little things that matter.

Allan
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I like the idea of an access panel but crikey, remove the seats !
I see that as a big job as you can't undo the nuts more than one flat at a time.
I'll carry on working from underneath but then I do have a pit to sit in.
Peter C
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Peter,

My seats are on runners,and I can undo them using a socket & ratchet from underneath?

Allan
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Nine years and thirty five thousand miles I've never had to touch my rear brakes, apart from changing the brake fluid once.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Ronald,

Our membership secretary John has got some good photos of the Jag setup in a Hawk if that helps. Not sure what he did for access to the pads but he has extended the bleed nipple to a location in the wheel arch to make bleeding brakes easier:

https://cobra289fia.com/2014/03/09/brak ... -run-rear/

Cheers,
Andy
monster7

Post by monster7 »

Thank you all for the helpful reply!
Kind regards, Ronald