Alloy wheel finishes

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Re: Alloy wheel finishes

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:Colin,

Let me know if you'd like to change your forum name and I'll do it for you.

I'd like to encourage members to use their actual names so that we all know who we're "talking" to.

Paul
I second that.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

With regard to wheels, I'm happy to throw in my two ha'porth:
I've run classic British cars with aluminium alloy wheels for several years, including when they were new. Two with alloys stick in my memory - Jensen Healey, which I ran in the late seventies, and Triumph Stag, which took over from the Healey. These both had aluminium wheels with black-painted insert sections. Both came from the manufacturer with lacquered finishes. Both cars suffered badly with chipped and lifting lacquer after only 2-3 years, which was a real pain to strip back and repair. And I really had to - as soon as the lacquer was chipped, a bubbling rash spread out from under the chip as the alloy oxidised. These were road cars, used every day for commuting etc. so the wheels were in 'real life', not on cossetted classics.
I bore all this in mind when deciding on Torque Thrust D rims for my Mustang (it's a '68 Fastback, so it has to have the same wheels as McQueen's, no ifs, no buts, no argument). I decided that as it doesn't get out much in crap weather, I'd paint the centres black (not powder coat) and keep the rims and centres polished bare ally. So far (now in year 6 for these wheels, 40k miles) I have managed to keep them looking good. It's a machined surface, not cast.

As an aside, I'm using less and less powder coating on my cars. This is because whilst it's good and hard and gives a great finish, once it chips or lifts anywhere there is nothing you can do except strip it and get it redone. I prefer now to give items a good aluminium oxide blasting and repaint with aerosol cans. You can even get high-quality 2K aerosols now with hardener in the base of the can.
monster7

Post by monster7 »

Maybe powdercoat them clear would be a solution. Cheap and simple.
Kind regards, Ronald
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Trigo offer a finish called 'as cast' on some of their wheels, especially the FIA type. In period, this wheel type was used on some of the early 427 'street cars due to supply problems with Halibrand in or around October 1965, in the period before the Brock Sunburst wheels were available.

This might be an interesting alternative solution, as the 'as cast; finish is pretty much exactly what I'd pictured in my mind (and it would look lovely against dark green paint)...

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Lee,
Following your last post I had a quick look at the Trigo wheels website. Yes, 'as cast' is how my FIA wheels were supplied by Trigo albeit mine are spline not pin drive.
As previously advised I then laquered them to try to prevent future oxidisation especially the machined part of the rim. I do however appreciate Roger's comments on stone chips and subsequent festering. As the layer of sprayed on lacquer on mine is not very thick I guess I can always polish it off and reapply.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Not sure you'll polish it off. Paint stripper's the best way to remove both paint and powder coat. Media blasters usually don't like working on old powder coating.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Paul Blore wrote:Colin,

Let me know if you'd like to change your forum name and I'll do it for you.

I'd like to encourage members to use their actual names so that we all know who we're "talking" to.

Paul
I don't know.... see, most people know me as that, and I'm probably the only Club member who's had 9 of the things. So it kind of fits (if you substitute 'Cobra' for the middle word). Also, I generally sign off posts with my first name... Rodney.
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

OCD wrote:most people know me as that
I don't think they do and those that don't wouldn't have a clue who "OCD" is.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:
OCD wrote:most people know me as that
I don't think they do and those that don't wouldn't have a clue who "OCD" is.

Paul
...and you do have to be a bit careful using serious and very unpleasant conditions as a nickname!
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Not quite on the same scale as Trump imitating a disabled reporter Roger, but I get your drift :wink:.

On that basis gentlemen, I'm happy for Paul to put my full name instead. I guess we can leave my login details exactly the same?

Cheers,
Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"