289 Speedometer

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

289 Speedometer

Post by Roger King »

OK, going to stick my neck out here and say that I think I've got the speedo as accurate as is reasonably possible.

Changes from CAI-supplied instrument:
1 - addition of part number and rpm figures (SN5321/06, 1020) below needle boss (my US sources describe these as correct numbers for a later, c. Oct-Dec '64 car).
2 - removal of paint and polishing of rivet holding zero stopwire in place
3 - replacement of CAI-fitted needle with the correct plastic type, salvaged from old instrument (MGB)
4 - repainted centre boss trim of needle with satin black

Notes: this speedo has 'MADE IN UK' at the base, hidden by the glass retaining ring. COB6029 has this rather than 'MADE IN ENGLAND' on both speedo and tacho, which are original, so I think this can be counted correct. It seems both were used, sometimes mixed but usually both the same. The part numbers etc. which I have added are in 1mm size waterslide transfers, cut as separate digits and applied individually under magnification. After drying these were given a coat of Revel modelling varnish mixed in the ratio of 2pts gloss to 1pt matte.
I think the 'MPH' should actually be a slightly thicker (bolder) font, but there's a limit, even for me. I think this is definitive, but am happy to be corrected with any further thoughts.

Roger
Colin Newbold

Re: 289 Speedometer

Post by Colin Newbold »

:roll:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Roger, I think you're right about the boldness of the font - sadly (and perhaps unsurprisingly) I was thinking exactly the same thing, but as you say, there is a limit, even though sometimes 'the limit' isn't immediately obvious to some of us.

The image of you applying the water transfers under magnification has me thinking of Donald Pleasance as 'the forger' in The Great Escape - I don't know why though!

It looks fantastic - detailing like this is important as the car becomes a historic document of what was correct in period. Without such attention to detail, things become lost over time.

Love it!

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Maybe your two cars should be in some sort of automotive historical museum?

(Just me doing automotive hysterical musing!)

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Marsh wrote:Roger, I think you're right about the boldness of the font - sadly (and perhaps unsurprisingly) I was thinking exactly the same thing, but as you say, there is a limit, even though sometimes 'the limit' isn't immediately obvious to some of us.

The image of you applying the water transfers under magnification has me thinking of Donald Pleasance as 'the forger' in The Great Escape - I don't know why though!

It looks fantastic - detailing like this is important as the car becomes a historic document of what was correct in period. Without such attention to detail, things become lost over time.

Love it!

L
Let me come with you... I can see perfectly...

(Hugh Dennis accent)
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Roger King wrote:
Marsh wrote:Roger, I think you're right about the boldness of the font - sadly (and perhaps unsurprisingly) I was thinking exactly the same thing, but as you say, there is a limit, even though sometimes 'the limit' isn't immediately obvious to some of us.

Love it!

L

(Hugh Dennis accent)
Who?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

OCD wrote:
Roger King wrote:

Love it!

L

(Hugh Dennis accent)
Who?
Fl.Lt. Colin Blythe
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Roger King wrote:
OCD wrote:
Roger King wrote:

(Hugh Dennis accent)
Who?
Fl.Lt. Colin Blythe
Who?
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

OCD wrote:
Roger King wrote:
OCD wrote:
Who?
Fl.Lt. Colin Blythe
Who?
Roger, shall I say it, or should you?

Come on Colin, do keep up!
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Gor Blimey! 'Ad to Google 'im in th'end. You're a mean pair.

Now I get it. Forger in the Great Escape, who lost his eyesight. I was reminded that someone from my old school starred in that film - John Leyton! Not to mention Stevie boy. But how they named Dickie Attenborough 'Big X' is beyond me. Aahh...the price of irony I guess. :roll:

Anyway, must go...more important things to do you know...