Radiators

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
agnoraan

Radiators

Post by agnoraan »

Is there a reason as to why the Hawk radiator is fitted in the nose section ( sometimes upright and sometimes leaning forwards) as opposed to tilted rearwards in the engine bay as per an original? I'm assuming it's to clear the bonnet hinges. Has anyone fitted a radiator the same as an original to a Hawk?

Nige
Roger King

Re: Radiators

Post by Roger King »

Yes Nige, Colin did a long time back and so did I. There isn't room to get the full width because of the Hawk's different frame dimensions and the design of the X-brace on the chassis, so it is very difficult to get sufficient cooling with a rad in the engine bay. I really can't remember the details as it was a good few years ago, but I ended up getting an aluminium rad made to the stock design and sticking it back down the nose of the car.

Found a photo:

You will see that to get decent depth the rad has to fit between the chassis tubes (which places it between the hinges as well). On an original, the tubes don't come this far forward so there is room for the rad to be full width in the engine bay. The Hawk frame also gets in the way of the bottom hose connector.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I've still got Rogers old rad if you want it?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The standard item fits right across the front of the bonnet aperture, almost touching the sides:

...which gives a fair bit more capacity. It's also crossflow rather than vertical flow, if that makes any difference.

Roger