Transmission tunnel fit.

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
agnoraan

Transmission tunnel fit.

Post by agnoraan »

Why is there a huge gap between the top of the trans tunnel on the bulkhead and the main tunnel itself on a Hawk? I can pass my fingers between the two where they meet, is this normal? I want to fit the fibreglass one for IVA purposes as it has curved edges where the top and sides meet so it should pass. Once it's passed I can make an aluminium one for it.
thanks...Nige
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Transmission tunnel fit.

Post by clive »

It's great for winter driving as hot air from the exhausts is forced through the gap to keep your legs and tootsie's cosy. (Not too good in France during the summer though!)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Nige,
Whilst I remember there being a gap I don't remember it being excessive. I certainly put a foam gasket on all three sides before bolting down. I have not had any water or hot air coming in.
I'll try to investigate in the morning as to extend of any surplus gap.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The original carpet was glued to the tunnel and folded over the edges to form a 'gasket'. Some clearance is needed for this. ACs had a removable panel between tunnel and bulkhead.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Nige,
The gap at the top of the tunnel is indeed around twice that of the sides. I certainly added foam gasket strip near to the rearmost end of the overlap to stop water and crud going into the joint. I probably doubled up the strip across the top. Of course having carpet hides the joint especially with sound absorbing underlay as well.
I haven't tucked my carpet in as Roger suggested should be done as my tunnel carpet is edged and left on show so to speak.
I managed to pass the SVA without any carpets but I don't know if the IVA expects that edge to be covered as it's facing away from the driver.
Peter C
IainS

Post by IainS »

I only had basic carpet in the foot wells to give impression the car was finished.... I had no IVA issues last July with no carpet on transmission tunnel.

Iain