Passenger Grab Handle

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
allan horsfall

Passenger Grab Handle

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen,

Im about to fit a Passenger Grab Handle, the two fixing lugs are flat, the cockpit combing is curved. Gerry's suggestion is to file down a couple of tap washers to fit under the lugs. But, it would be neater if I could alter the lugs to fit. The handle seems to be cast alloy, so the question is, can they be bent to fit with the application of a little heat, I'd be reluctant to try it cold.
Has anybody tried this or do I stick with filing down the rubber washers.

Allan
Roger King

Re: Passenger Grab Handle

Post by Roger King »

I've fitted a few of these now - I file the handle to close to the right profile and use a thin rubber washer.
Migge

Post by Migge »

I filed down thick plastic washers to get the curve of the cockpit edge.
Special customized BRA289
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I used a Dremel to grind a curve in the flat face of the handle lugs to match the scuttle edge.

Post by Colin Newbold »

Correct me if I'm wrong Roger, but I think originals just used shaped washers - right? I found some that were a perfect fit Allan ... either from B&Q (Plumbing dept) or more likely roofing washers (for fixing corrugated roofing panels) from Jewson, or maybe off the web, I just can't remember...

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

As far as we can tell, original street cars just had a thin rubber washer (approx. 1/8") under each end, with the end of the handle shaped to roughly fit the body. It's possible there was a specific Cobra handle, but frankly I rather doubt it: the British motor industry didn't work that way in the 50s and early 60s. I've discussed this in the past with Dan Case, whose thoughts are as follows:

Hello Roger,
Based on my experience trying to make very expensive new old replacement stock (genuine O.E.M. standard handles from the 1970s) parts work on a friend's Cobra I convinced myself that handles for Cobras were made specifically to fit Cobras. I tried to bend a very expensive part to match the one on my red car and it snapped like glass. The casting alloy used just could not stand being bent. Scratch a bunch of money for such a small piece. I had a second one I had set aside for the red car someday. I used a pedestal belt sander to shape the ends enough to work. Shaping the ends still wouldn't allow the holes in the standard part to fit the mounting holes AC drilled for a Cobra part so I had to enlarge both holes a little and bend one of the screws.

Original Cobra handles don't follow the curve vertically. The result are small gaps. On my black car there are remains of rubber gaskets under the feet. I have seen similar worn remains on other unrestored cars if the cars have never been repainted or if they were repainted long ago. I cut rubber washers to use on my red car and my friend's car.

The 'black' and 'red' cars Dan refers to are his own Cobras, CSX2310 and CSX2551. Obviously he has been fitting handles to cars that already had the mounting holes through the aluminium skin and steel tube, making it much harder. So - I don't think thick nylon blocks etc. are the best way to go, but it comes down to personal preference - and, as with a lot of elements of sixties classic car ownership, don't expect perfection!

Hope that helps!

Roger

edit - and don't forget - raised countersunk chrome slotted screws - NO PHILLIPS/POZIDRIV!! 2BA from memory.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Sorry Roger,

I'm going to use Pozdriv, I cant stand the idea of the screw driver skidding across my paintwork!!

Allan
ALF
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by ALF »

Not sure if still correct but I found this picture on CSX2323 (if saved correctly) :lol:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

ALF wrote:Not sure if still correct but I found this picture on CSX2323 (if saved correctly) :lol:
That looks about right. Rubber washer behind chrome handle (with reflection of washer on paintwork), with slotted raised countersunk 2BA screw.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Guys,

Project completed, and Roger I did use sloted screws as they had the correct sized heads?

Just out of interest, I filed the lugs to fit the horizontal curvature, then filed the tap washers to fit the vertical.

Thanks for all the input
Allan