Ford 302 Block Age

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Re: Ford 302 Block Age

Post by Roger King »

Heads don't matter. Block date only evidence needed.

Technically, the 'C5AE' number is an engineering number. There is an actual casting date code on the block also, but that's probably over-complicating matters. C5 (as in 1965) refers to the design date for that engine - but you will need to take sufficient evidence to explain beyond doubt what the C5AE means, the tester won't know and is unlikely to simply accept your word for it.

When I first did an SVA test, I took a photocopy of a book (Tom Monro's, I think, but not sure) explaining the numbers, and a photograph of the number on my block explaining that he couldn't see the actual number without removing the starter motor. The tester was perfectly happy with this. Not sure they would be today...
IainS

Post by IainS »

When the car is up on the lift and the inspector has his a torch the block number is clearly visible above the starter. And he may want "proof" to tick his box but I wouldn't assume he doesn't know how the simple Ford coding works.....

Iain
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Thanks to the dubious Mexican Chevy blocks in circulation. Mr IVA now needs a certificate of age. Which means you need to send your engine to be checked by someone on the "list". When I did my test a mail from Ford technical in the US verifying the casting numbers was sufficient, but I doubt it now.
Need to get the list off the Vosa website and see who is closest. Knight racing, Mike Huddart and I believe Real Steel used to be on there, but I haven't seen the list for ages.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by jamesmacv8 »

Thanks for the info. guys - I guess it's a case of gathering as much information/certification as possible to put a good case forward regarding block age.

On another note - I notice that the small 1/4" oil passage hole behind the 289 Cam Plate is plugged, so I assume oil is fed to the thrust plate face via the cam bearing and not form the plugged hole (this is left open in later engines). Roger, I did a bit of snooping on old forums and see that you had questioned this a few years ago - what are your thoughts - is it OK to remove this plug? I'd like to do this anyway to properly clean the oil galleries.

James
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

For the life of me James, I can't remember. I vaguely recall that because of the cam retaining plate the hole seems redundant, but if you can reproduce the text or give a link to the thread that might jog the memory. Is this not mentioned in Monro's book, or others?
jamesmacv8
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by jamesmacv8 »

Roger - I'm assuming it's the same Roger :-)

Here is the link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119417/t ... plate+lube

James
jamesmacv8
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by jamesmacv8 »

PS - Monroe's book or the George Reid book, does not go into enough detail about this, just mentions that there are various types of cam plate. Judging by my research it's ok to remove, as long as the correct cam plate is fitted - I.E. one with the extra lug with the oil groove going to the hole and NOT the standard 289 one which would not cover the 1/4" hole!

James
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Oh yes - I remember - the hole is there because that's how the oilway was drilled, and Ford closed it off after machining. After a while, they stopped doing this. As noted in the thread, the grooved cam plate relies on oil coming through this hole. Drill it out.
jamesmacv8
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by jamesmacv8 »

Thanks Roger,

For interest, here is the block/crank after Soda Blasting - a very effective cleaning process!
289 05.jpg
289 03.jpg
289 04.jpg
Cheers,
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Just a tip - best store a crank on its end, never on its side. Or so I've been told a number of times over the years.
What do the bore sizes mic up to?