Cobra rocker covers

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
allan horsfall

Cobra rocker covers

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen

Im about to fit Cobra rocker covers onto my Rover engine. I was heavily influenced as a child with the program 'Pimp my Ride' !!!
I have the covers, the adapter plates, a 1" carb spacer and have the cover gaskets on order.
My query is regarding the breathers, I assume I will need a breather oil filler cap on one side and a cap on the other cover connected by a hose to the air filter. Is that it?

Thinking about fitting go faster stripes on my ride on mower !!!

Allan
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CobStang

Re: Cobra rocker covers

Post by CobStang »

Study the top pic and you will see the cap has a PCV valve in the centre and the pipe goes to the base of the carb or spacer. The other cover can have a breather to atmosphere.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the pictures, that does help. However, as I understand it the Ford engine runs with positive crank case pressure and the standard Rover doesn't, which leads me to think that a PCV valve is not needed and what is required is to make sure both sides can breath to atmosphere ? Or have I got this wrong.

Allan
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Alan,

After you fitted your rocker covers were there any obvious effects to the running, and did you have to get the engine retuned.

Allan
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Alan,
On my Rover I piped the rocker cover breather into the base of the air filter without using the PCV. There should be sufficient suction to provide the breathing. The opposite cover breathes through the mesh of the filler cap.
I did try adding the pipe into the connection on the base of the carb and utilising the PCV but it upset the running of the engine so hence the alternative route.
Peter C
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Peter,

Nice one, mirrors my thinking exactly. Its always reassuring when someone else has tried it and it works. !!!

Alan,
Your engine bay looks really neat, like the colour as well, thanks for your input.