Re: Lift the dot positions

Post by Homewood »

Good idea I will...
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Ref your other query on cutting the top rail of the side screen.
I cut mine to clear the windscreen support but in hindsight it could have been a little longer and made to just clear the screen itself.
The photo shows that the polycarbonate protrudes from the frame approx 5 mm. I have added a U shaped trim to protect the cut edge and an attempt to stop it drumming on the screen support.
Recently I made a small angle bracket with felt pads to hold the top of the side screen in a rigid position. Vast improvement !
Until I fit the hood again to check the mating between the hood and sidescreen I won't know if the side screen should be encouraged to be further out at the top. They have been flapping about so much over the years I can't remember where exactly they should be at that point.
Hope photos help.
Peter C
DSC_1703.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks that is where mine are now, someone I spoke to who worked for polyfacto said the top of the side screen should touch the front of the hood bow.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

When you say the hood bow do you mean the metalwork holding the front of the hood onto the windscreen top. Of course this wraps round the windscreen support so would reduce the clearance between side screen top and windscreen support.
I'll see if I can find the time to hook up the hood and check the clearance.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Original CSX sidescreen buffer and chrome bracket arrangement, BA screw:

Roger

edit - if you look on this site somewhere you'll find an article by Gerry on fitting sidescreens.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Yes peter the metalwork where the front hood is glued to.

Roger I did look at Gerry's instructions but his are well behind the front screen at the top I just thought it might blow out at speed?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I always leave the metalwork of the frame clear of the screen surround. You need to allow for thickness of the hood bow, the hood bow covering and the trim on the sidescreen frame. It's a guess, basically. The lower part of the frame, as I'm sure you know, needs to sit well inside the base of the screen pillar. I've never had issues with the sidescreen blowing out, but the bracket and bumper I posted a photo of helps to reduce rattle. The photo shows an original factory bumper - all road cars had these.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Having just looked at Roger's bracket position then mine are clearly to far in at the top. It would appear that the perspex should more or less line up with the inside edge of the screen support whereas mine are approx 12 mm in. I would need to un trim the top rail of the side screen and shorten it to clear the hood bow plus adjust the polycarbonate accordingly. Having done that the bracket would need to be remade shorter. A job for another day after the Roses Tour.
I would say the gap does help with the ventilation.
Peter C
DSC_1707.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hmm, yes, nowhere near, really. If it works, why bother?
However here is mine before trimming, and the finished result. The frame sits abutted to the windscreen frame at the top, not inside it.

You can just see the tiny gap in the second photo.
1 small BA screw retains the top front corner of the perspex.
Also of interest - the hood material does not go down to the end of the hood bow - this is exposed black (I've cheated and powder coated the hood bows).

Oh yes - and it should be Everflex, not Mohair. But again, if it works...
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have just read up Gerry's article on fitting of the side screens. The bottom rail should protrude beyond the screen support by 10mm and the top rail should be cut back to be 5mm clear. Not totally sure that 5mm is enough by the time you have the hood bow and the side screen covered in material. Suggest approx 8mm.
I have now cut mine back to be approx 2mm clear of the hood bow when all re trimmed. The Perspex ( mine is polycarbonate) protrudes approx 10 mm to tuck inside the screen support.
I think that my polycarbonate probably needs cutting back a little more but it currently sits nicely into my shortened buffer brackets. Hopefully no more rattling.
The outside of the side screen top rail is now almost inline with the outside of the hood bow.
Hope this helps.
Peter C