Evans Waterless coolant

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Evans Waterless coolant

Post by clive »

Roger, is the silting up of waterways due to corrosion or limescale caused by hard water where you are?

The reason I ask is that over the years I've never had any bother with my waterworks, simply by using tap water and a good quality anti-freeze/corrosion inhibitor, but then we are blessed with soft water and never have any limescale issues with anything.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I don't think so, Clive, I always used either de-ionised water or water from the dehumidifier when I used a mix. I used to change my coolant every other year at least, so didn't get a lot of problems in cars I kept long enough to find out - but in many cars I bought, I found rust and sediment in the cooling system. Many of those came from different parts of the country. Engine blocks in cars I've bought have also needed quite extensive chemi-cleans to get the waterways clear around the base of the cylinder bores. In head passages the corrosion can be easy to see, too - loss of material rather than deposits of new.
But, as said, I did use Forlife in my Healeys for several years without any real problems, apart from getting fed up with the pink colour appearing around a lot of older paper gasket joints! You pays yer money...
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

One important point to mention about the overflow tank, is that the "inlet" pipe needs to go to the bottom of the tank, so that the overflow coolant can be sucked back into the engine again as it cools and contracts.

Obvious when you think about it, but easily overlooked.

Paul
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

My view on contaminated waterways would be that the average car owner just keeps putting more water in if it gets low. There is no thought about the quality of the water's corrosion resistance. They probably think that anti freeze is only for the depth of winter.
Chances are that the ratio of antifreeze to water has never been correct except when it first left the factory.
Peter C