Polyurethane bushes

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Polyurethane bushes

Post by peterc »

Based on time rather than mileage I think I should be changing my front suspension bushes. Plus not forgetting my earlier issues with bottoming out the springs so they have probably have taken a bit of hammering. They don't appear to be worn out but do look a little aged around the edges.
Can those of you who have tried and tested polyurethane bushes on the Hawk front suspension advise if they transmit more vibration etc into the car. E.g. Are they definitely an improvement and worth persuing or should I just fit the re-inforced rubber variety.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Polyurethane bushes

Post by peterc »

Thanks Paul.
I must admit I was nervous of going too rigid. The car is noisy enough.
They do appear to also offer re enforced rubber ones, but I am not sure if that was what I started with as its recommended for MGB V8.
Peter C
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Alan,
The engine is generally the music so that's the least of the noise issue.
The transmission noise is fairly irritating especially with the hood up having just spent several hundred miles last (wet) week end in the car. The wind noise caused by the wind deflectors being pushed out to clear the sidescreen movement doesn't help on long distances at 70mph
Thumping from pot holes and general suspension noise on poor roads is an issue. I am happy with my suspension alignment, ride height and camber so doesn't need any further checks of adjustment until after I have replaced the bushes.
I didn't anticipate squeaking from the silicone bushes just more harshness from the suspension trying to do its job after all the poly bushes are harder than rubber.
It's just trying to put a handle on what level of change there would be in this harshness.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Whilst I have not used lazer technology I'm happy with the alignment at both front and back as far as my shims allow. We have also checked both corner weights and camber whilst on a truly flat floor. I have a friend who has raced several different cars over the years including Formular Ford so I'm happy with his methods.
I like the idea of the polybushes being a more accurately engineered solution but at what compromise to noise and comfort.
I had thought the polybushes are more aimed at those who want to use their car on the track and need the accuracy when pushing the car to its limits and beyond.
Peter C