Urgentish help....

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Urgentish help....

Post by DavidP »

Hello,
Backfor the MOT and various other bits. We discovered that the front & rear suspension is shot....
The front has the moss-europe coil-in conversion for which i need to replace a shock & coil (spring broken).
Moss technical provided no clues apart from buying a complete new "kit", however they have the shocks and coils available seperately. We now know that the coil is 7inches but which loading for a BRA 289 RV8 - 400, 450 or 475 kgs coils. We spent most of today tryinto source weigh pads but to no avail - booked into a weight bridge tomorrow at 0700 to get some idea of weight
Any help thoughts would be appreciated....
Looking like spax all round
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Urgentish help....

Post by clive »

My first thought would be to contact Gerry H. Even though you have a BRA I would think he would have a good idea of what you need.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

David,
I think that you reside down South so suggest Faulkner springs at Chichester. They have their own spring tester and are very helpful. Masses of springs in stock so would be very surprised if they can't help. Of course a quick call before you travel across would perhaps be prudent.
Springs are circa £26 each. Take the old unbroken one to them so you can then get a suitable pair. They supply competition teams so the springs are top quality.
You need to check why the spring has broken. Has it been bottoming out or is just old age/ poor quality. Check the coils for signs of coil binding on the one that isn't broken.
You could also consider sending a pm to David Large who has a BRA with a Rover engine. Not sure if he has the Moss set up through.
Peter C
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Large

Post by David Large »

peterc wrote:David,
I think that you reside down South so suggest Faulkner springs at Chichester. They have their own spring tester and are very helpful. Masses of springs in stock so would be very surprised if they can't help. Of course a quick call before you travel across would perhaps be prudent.
Springs are circa £26 each. Take the old unbroken one to them so you can then get a suitable pair. They supply competition teams so the springs are top quality.
You need to check why the spring has broken. Has it been bottoming out or is just old age/ poor quality. Check the coils for signs of coil binding on the one that isn't broken.
You could also consider sending a pm to David Large who has a BRA with a Rover engine. Not sure if he has the Moss set up through.
Peter C
David Large Here.

I read this earlier today and thought about getting involved, but I am not familiar with the Moss setup. I have an old Ron Hopkinson conversion on the front of my car but I have no idea what the rating of the springs are. I do know that my car weighs 1050kg, which is quite heavy I suspect.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

David, I don't know how old your car is but if the springs have been on for any length of time I would strongly advise replacing both fronts as a matched pair. You do not want one new strong one paired with one that's getting tired and softer. Take both out and (assuming you're happy with how they performed) take them to Faulkner's to be identified and replaced. I bought a few pairs from Faulkners when I was building my Hawk and they have loads of springs in the relevant sizes, from memory.
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Thank you for all the suggestions, advice and help.
We managed to weigh the nose only, it came in at 480kgs (1058lbs) so the recommendation was to use 7inch 500lb coils (7inch being on already)
These have been ordered in pairs along with new spax shocks for the front and rear.
Strangely today whilst at the garage today i met a gentleman call Frank who builds GT40s (hailsham based) but was very aware of cobras. He has weight plates which we can borrow for the setup as well as being friends with Gerry H and Andy Soar.
Ill try and get some photos of the work.
Thank you all again.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

David,
I have just read some advice from Gerry in the technical articles section ( springs and handling) and he quotes 400lb springs for a Moss set up with a Rover lump.
Peter C
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

OK all fitted (500) at the moment.
What came out was 7inch 475lbs. If its too difficult/hard then i will change it back.
Unfortunatly a brake pipe started to leak and further investigation revealed a very thin (read non-existant) flange. So we continue tomorrow hopefully ready for friday.
The hurry was that i was due in Belgium yesterday which i have now delayed.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Yes I agree with peter Faulkner springs at Chichester they can measure and sort you out.