Side screen drainage

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Side screen drainage

Post by peterc »

Has anyone seen fit to drill a drainage hole in the bottom/ side of the side screen channel.
Whilst driving in the recent increment weather the rain appeared to have filled up the channel. My passenger complained of the water bubbling as the wind picked it up and started to blow it inside round the back of the sliding portion of the screen.
I note that there is a small portion of trim missing right in the corner of the channel which probably doesn't help.
Comments?
Peter C
allan horsfall

Re: Side screen drainage

Post by allan horsfall »

Peter,

Frankly Peter I dont think it matters much, the water coming over the screen is good enough for a mobile shower anyway?

Allan
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Allan
I don't get a shower from the front. The original culprit was the center of the hood but we seal it with a little piece of chamois. Water around the ends of the screen is kept out by seals on the bottom of the side screens.
The only real leaks I get are past the felt seal on the hood in the valleys on the rear deck. A couple of towels normally take care of that but I will add some extra foam seal strips for future. So we are normally fairly dry. We haven't had any spray past the side screen window before so keen to resolve.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Peter i have no drainage holes. Mine are being trimmed now togetherwith a hood being made. Can you tell me do flaps at the bottom of the sidescreen have any stiffening material sewn in ? And does the wind keep then against the body ?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have just checked my side screens.
Flaps do not have any re enforcing - just double thickness to look good both sides..
Yes, they keep pressed down against the door top without any wind assistance except where I have added a third popper stud for the tonneau. At that point I tuck the flap around the stud and it stays in place happily.
Water did previously find its way in at the front having gone round the windscreen support and then sneaked in behind the start of the flap to then seeming flick out onto ones shoulder. Couldn't understand where it was coming from initially. To over come this I have added a tubular seal 18 x 16 along the bottom of the side screen. It can squash from 18 down to 6 so easily accommodates the change in size of gap.
If you want a nice side screen bag then Bagworld can help you out. See separate forum posting for a picture. It's a little larger than necessary for a Hawk side screen as we made it to accommodate another model.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks Peter have advised the trimmer. It's very difficult to get people to do work on your car without watching over them perhaps that is why we build them ourselves !

Will get some u shaped seal for under the sidescreens. Sounds like they will never be dry may be why my old triumph spitfire rusted so much.

Cheers
Tony
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Tony
The seal I used was a circular tube with a moulded in flat to mount it to the required surface not U shaped. It's like that used on car doors except of the way its being fixed down.
I have some spare if you want it.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks peter when I get my car back I'll measure the gap. I bought some small d section for the doors not yet fitted but should work with my variable gap. Are you going to Silverstone?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, to Silverstone on Sat. Staying at the Cross Roads both Fri and Sat nights.
You may find that your small D section is not sufficient. That's why I bought the 18mm version. From memory I think the gap changes from 16 down to 8.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Ok see you there, i am also staying at the cross roads. Hopefully get my car back tomorrow.