Period black colour code

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Period black colour code

Post by John H »

HI All, I am considering painting the car black - needs to be a tribute to St Piran after all. Does anyone have a favourite period black colour code that I can use. At this stage I am just getting some quotations and they need to know the paint I will be using.
I am not sure how expensive different colours are, anyone know?

How do you decide if you have never seen a car in the colour? Web sites don't really do justice do they so I am looking for advice on a good colour.

Just an update I go to IVA on the 2nd June.......cheers John
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!
Marsh

Re: Period black colour code

Post by Marsh »

Well, that's got to be one for Roger, given his car is finished in Black, but in advance of the guru taking to the forum, have you sought out Raven Black on the 'web?

The original 1964 Ford colour code was M1724, but there were alternative paint suppliers, such as DuPont (code 88,44, 93-005)and Ditzler (code 9000).

I recall that Mr King's car has a clear coat on it too; is that right Roger?

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yes, I can't claim great originality in the paint department, I'm afraid - I'm more concerned about longevity and strength of finish with future repairability and matching in mind. Hence no cellulose (why on earth would anyone use that?), water base, and several coats of clear. The originals had none of this - just a couple of blows over of colour which would polish through in a handful of years and fade equally quickly.
None of these replicas has aluminium of the original spec (they're much tougher, thank heavens), I don't run original engine oil or tyres, rubber fuel lines, Whitworth fasteners throughout etc. so the paint spec is not of primary importance to me (correct engine and box come higher up my list, but let's no go down that route!).
289s were not, to my knowledge, painted Raven Black, which is a Ford colour. Take a look at the AC colour swatch on t'internet for the AC colours.
My car?

RAL9005. And I bet you weren't expecting that. I wasn't - it was two years before the painter told me...
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by John H »

Thanks guys....not sure it helped though Ha ha! Maybe I will chat to the guy doing it before deciding. I'm 8 months away for doing that anyway.... cheers John
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!