IVA: fuel tank, fuel cap, seat belts

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

IVA: fuel tank, fuel cap, seat belts

Post by KevinW »

Hoping for some advice on this as the IVA manual seems quite vague, and starting to think about test issues now......

I've got an Aston flip top roller cap with a seperate lockable inner cap. The inner cap isnt tethered; it is lockable, but uses its own, rather than the ignition key for locking. Do I need to tether this on somehow?

IVA manual says something about venting needed on the tank - presumable most caps have a breater so this isnt an issue?

Tank needs to be earthed (no problem) but so does the cap??? Is that correct?

I have floor mounted inertia reels (deviating from the recomended mounting for several reasons). Wondering how the Hawk mounts the inertias? Again, IVA manual quite vague on what's expected.

Your comments appreciated, Kevin
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: IVA: fuel tank, fuel cap, seat belts

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Kev,
The Hawk has a frame to which the inertia reels are mounted with tension straps to rear fixings on the chassis. The base of the frame bolts to the chassis. At IVA the tester either needs to see the set up or see photographic evidence that it is sturdy enough. Mounting the reels correctly is important to ensure a pass.
Not sure on the requirements on the Aston Caps or inserts but be mindful of radius conformity of the catch. I'm sure Car builder Solutions or Europa could advise a suitable conforming combination. I used a Ceandess cap with its own key which passed. Tank earthing is easy. I used a radiator earth clamp that fastened onto an edge of the tank with a suitable wire to the chassis. The tester wanted to see this, so have it visible. My cap wasn't earthed.
I used a vent valve connected by a pipe to the vent spigot on the Hawk tank. It was one of those valves that seals should the car roll over (ball bearing and orifice) they are readily available from most car fitting suppliers Merlin motorsports and the like. Again the tester asked to see the vent system, so I vented the tank to the rear wheel arch. This can all be seen on my build blog Building a 289 under building and servicing your 289.
Good luck!
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

Filler cap.
Remove the lockable insert. You don't need it as the main cap latches.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

An addition to Stewbie's comments on seat belts. The reason Hawk's seat belt mounting bracket has raised guides for the seat belts is that the IVA requires the belt to be a specific dimension relative to the seat positions. Hawk have positioned them in the center of the car because they need to be high up.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

peterc wrote:An addition to Stewbie's comments on seat belts. The reason Hawk's seat belt mounting bracket has raised guides for the seat belts is that the IVA requires the belt to be a specific dimension relative to the seat positions. Hawk have positioned them in the center of the car because they need to be high up.
Peter C
Even the standard guides position isn't high enough for the IVA test. I fitted some extensions to raise the guides higher prior to the test.