Guardsmen blue colour code

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Guardsmen blue colour code

Post by Homewood »

Hood done now i have decided to paint the car myself as it won't be my first and I have all the gear.

Any advice on primers would be appreciated regarding whether etch primer or plastic primer is best. I am doing it in old fashion cellulose.

Anyone know what paint code I need ?

I do have a metallic sample that looks quite good, may be a little dark but any advise is welcomed.

Cheers
Tony

Ps it has to be done asap as it is going to silverstone
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Guardsmen blue colour code

Post by Homewood »

Yes thanks very useful.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Tony, the fibreglass body will need to be either etch primed or epoxy primed first for adhesion for the following paint process. Personally, I prefer etch primer as the epoxy primer has a "window of use" ie the 2k primer filler has to be applied over the epoxy within approximately 24 hours. If left longer than this, the epoxy would need flatting down to key it up ready for the primer filler, other wise there could be adhesion problems. Trying to rub down epoxy is hard work and it clogs the paper up very quickly.

I would sand the bodys gel coat down with a 240 grit paper until there is zero shine anywhere, followed by a wipe over with a good brand of a "panel wipe" type degreaser. I'd degrease it three or four times to make sure that there's no release agent left on the panel form the moulding process. Once happy with that I'd then apply two coats of acid based etch primer. It doesn't matter if the etch is translucent, so long as it has full coverage of the fibreglass. If you spray the etch on too thick it tends to lose adhesion.

Once the etch has flashed off as per manufacturers specifications, I'd give the whole lot three to four good coats of a quality 2K 4-1 primer, leaving the manufacturers specified time between coats. leave this settle and cure for 24 hours. If there are any marks or pinholes in any repairs, use a bit of 2K stopper to fill in the discrepancies. I would then spray the primer with a light dusting of a dark colour from an aerosol to act as a guide coat, and then start the flatting process. I'd begin with a 320 grade used dry. ( hookit DA discs are better than wet and dry paper for this as they don't clog or wear out so quickly) ALWAYS use a rubbing down block and not your fingers to ensure the sanding process takes the primer down smoothly. Once everything has been sanded so that there's no guide coat left, it's time to double check the finish that you have. At this stage if you've gone through the primer in places, I'd recoat with another two coats of 2K 4-1 primer and repeat the process above.

Once happy, re guide coat and sand the primer down with 600 grit paper, but I'd do this wet, ensuring that it's thoroughly dry after flatting. Don't leave any water residue on the primer for any length of time as primer is porous. This will be the surface that you paint on, so ensure that there are no marks left in the surface before painting.

Re mask the whole car again and then degrease it a few times to remove any residue from the sanding process. Give it a thorough blow off with the airline, give it a really good wipe over using a "Tak rag" and then start spraying on the top coat. You say that you're going to spray it in cellulose, unfortunately, nowadays, the metallic colours aren't a cellulose base, they're either acrylic basecoat OR waterbased. You will have to use acrylic basecoat and it will need lacquering. It's nigh on impossible to spray waterbased paints without a good airflow over it, as achieved from a professional spray booth. Unfortunately the only lacquers you can get are either acrylic single pack or two pack enamels. Do NOT use a cellulose based lacquer as it will degrade over time and will crack and craze. The single pack isn't generally available in this country ie your local paint factors isn't likely to sell it, unless you use an American brand such as "House of Kolor" or "Metalflake" lacquer. The plus side with single pack is that it's relatively safe to use and dries quickly. The downside is, that it loses its shine and will need cutting back and polishing. Another downside is that even once flatted and cut back, over time, single pack acrylics do tend to lose their shine. Two pack clears retain their shine, but aren't good for ones health if trying to spray without a proper booth.

Always drain your compressor before use and make sure that you have adequate water traps in line to avoid moisture trap.

Please bear in mind that there are a number of ways to paint a car and different sprayers will use different techniques. This is the process that I generally use when prepping a 'glass car for paint

I hope that helps,
Nige
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Sounds good I've rubbed it down with 120 to start after 30 years in my garage, 240 next. I don't understand the use of etch primer on fibreglass as it reacts with metal ? Or is this special for fibreglass ?

Thanks
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

I was just going to use high build primer over 240 prepared tell coat ?
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

The etch primer doesn't react with steel, it cant. The acid in the etch primer will "eat" into the surface of the fibreglass causing a "chemical bond". A high build primer doesnt have that bond as it doesn't eat into the surface. You need something to adhere to the fibreglass for the first coat, hence using an etch or epoxy primer. A high build primer will stick to fibreglass but not as well, so I personally l don't take the risk. I know someone that used high build direct to fibreglass and had to strip the paint off the whole car when the paint started to flake off.
Nige
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks I will speak to my paint supplier.

Do you have a paint code for guardsmen blue ?

Thanks
Tony
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Alan posted a link to paint codes earlier on in this posting which included AC cars and Guardsman Blue
Peter C
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.