"high performance engine"?
It's a glorified Beetle...it'll be fine! :roll: :lol: :D :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Arrrrrggghhh

Post by nikbj68 »

Seriously though, do whatever you are comfortable with, or whatever Mrs.Marsh recommends.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

As Nik says, but I would think at the 40:1 ratio it would help to lubricate the pump! :P
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

clive wrote:As Nik says, but I would think at the 40:1 ratio it would help to lubricate the pump!
That's my thinking Clive; there's been no smoke, no rough running, nothing so far.
I guess I feel guilty about being so unsympathetic to my new (old) car.

I actually apologised to the car when I was in the garage this morning and I can't believe I'm even sharing that.

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Thank you Paul (and all)

Yes it is, Paul - it's Bosch K-Jetronic Mechanical Fuel Injection, or CIS in other parlance.

I think that's what I'm going to do - I might even use the car for work this week, if the weather is amenable - that way, the devil's fuel will be burnt up, so I can move on from all this whittling.

Update to follow.

L
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Pull yourself together, Lee.

Several years ago I was running low on fuel late one night in my brand new Audi 2.2 Coupé, the 5 cylinder one, about 1984 from memory. I nipped round to my Dad's as I knew he always kept a few cans in his garage, to find he was away on holiday - so I pinched a couple of gallon cans and poured them in. Nice red gallon cans with 'petrol' written on the side. Drove back to Cambridge, no problems at all, nice warm engine.
Got in it the next day to go to work, and it wouldn't start. I eventually got it to catch, but as soon as I gave it any throttle at all it died. I sat there with it idling until it was warm enough to move off, headed for the nearest filling station and brimmed it. End of problem.
Yes, good old Dad - it was paraffin. 45,000 miles later I sold the car with no ill effects whatsoever. K-Jetronic EFI.

I was running on neat paraffin, pretty much, for 20 miles. With a warm engine, that's what tractors used to do - start on petrol, switch over to TVO when it's hot. It's just an internal combustion engine at the end of the day. To pay for a clean out when it's diluted at that level is money down the tubes in my opinion. What could happen to it? Your mechanic must be on a percentage!

R
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Thank you - I've pulled myself together Roger and will drive it as Ferdinand intended tomorrow

L
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Roger King wrote:Your mechanic must be on a percentage!
Actually, to be fair to him, he couldn't say anything else. If you ask him for a professional opinion and he says 'just run it', he's laying himself wide open to come-back (in this litigious age) even if something completely unrelated happens whilst you're driving it.
I know what I'd do (and indeed have already done, see above post) - and anyway, weren't early veedubs two strokes anyway? Can't remember...
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Roger King wrote:
Roger King wrote:Your mechanic must be on a percentage!
Actually, to be fair to him, he couldn't say anything else. If you ask him for a professional opinion and he says 'just run it', he's laying himself wide open to come-back (in this litigious age) even if something completely unrelated happens whilst you're driving it.
I know what I'd do (and indeed have already done, see above post) - and anyway, weren't early veedubs two strokes anyway? Can't remember...
I regard my 911 as a fat beetle, so a little extra top end lubrication appears not to have caused any outward impact on my internals,so far.

You see how I've now come round to the reality of my situation over the last 36 hours, helped not a little by the teachings of proper grown ups?

After 40 spirited miles of spirited driving this morning, all appears to be well, plus my mpg also seems to be better than running a singular fuel.

Perhaps there is a future in these dual fuel cars after all...

L
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Hahahahaha!
You'll be adding a pint of Diseasel to every tankful from now on!