Lego Technic Engine Blow-Up

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Lego Technic Engine Blow-Up

Post by clive »

Worth a watch. Probably what happens if you don't run them in properly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad2Q4_HV4Ls
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Lego Technic Engine Blow-Up

Post by peterc »

Amazing. I didn't know Lego even did such parts. Trust someone to experiment to find the max revs. Another Lego video clip shows an engine being re enforced to go faster!
It would actually be quite interesting to know what type of lubrication they would recommend for the type of plastic they have used.
I have had a bad experience with some 'plastic' parts used in a piece of equipment used in the food industry. As the equipment was getting stiff to operate it was agreed we could use some vegetable oil which would not adversely affect the food contents passing through the equipment. The result was the bearing seized up after a few hours. Not good for the daily production requirements.
From memory the material was Acetal ( the appearance of PTFE) and it absorbed the oil and expanded thus removing any clearance. After many times of dismantling/ cleaning etc it was found that we could get away with the merest wipe of the veg oil just for initial assembly purposes ( running in ) but no more.
It's amazing that the supposed experts selling the product did not know what could or should not be be done to their Acetal.
It took us a fair bit of research to ge to an acceptable conclusion. Memory is fading but I think we did try other materials including PTFE, not forgetting the time needed to machine up each set of replacement parts
Peter C