Hawk - fuel regulator to carb connection

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Hawk - fuel regulator to carb connection

Post by amulheirn »

Just after some advice if that's ok?

I need to connect the outlet of my Filter King to the inlet of my Holley carburettor.

The Holley has a banjo on it with a hose barb, so it would accept a hose pushed on and held in place with a Jubilee clip.
The Filter King (FPRV8/NPT) just has a threaded hole. I think I know from the part number that this is a 1/8 NPT thread internally.

Not sure why, but no hose barbs were supplied for the Filter King. None is needed on the inlet side since Gerry's braided fuel line screws in via an adapter.

So I need one of these two solutions I think:
  1. A 1/8NPT to hose barb fitting on the outlet of the Filter King, plus some fuel hose and two Jubilee clips
  2. A custom hose that has 1/8NPT at one end, and a banjo at the other.
I feel that the first one is possibly less safe if a hose came off. So I was going to go for the second option, but currently can't find an internet-based supplier of custom fuel hoses. Plenty of people make custom brake lines etc, but fuel hose seems less common.

Just wondered what your thoughts were.

Cheers,
Andy
DaveB

Re: Hawk - fuel regulator to carb connection

Post by DaveB »

Hi Andy,

I have just done a very similar thing switching from clips to AN6 hose fittings, the main issue was the thickness of the new Banjo and finding the right Banjo bolt for the carburetor, needed to do some modifications to get everything to fit. If you let me know the carburetor model I will send you through all the parts I ended up using if it helps. I know Peter Adams did a similar thing but had a hose made up so he may offer an alternative.

Dave
IainS

Post by IainS »

Hi, I got Gerry's kit for fuel and brake lines but if I recall correctly didn't include the regulator to carb hose. His kit came with the name of his supplier on a sticker, can't recall who it is so ask him. I then contacted the supplier, measured the hose I would need, sent the Holley banjo which came back nicely crimped onto new hose.

I suspect Merlin Motorsport would do this too, they made up my oil pressure gauge braided hoses. Helps that they're close to home for me :wink:

Wasn't expensive and better IMHO than jubilees for fuel lines....

Iain
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I'm sure Gerry's supplier is BGC Motorsport in Wisbech.
Hope that helps.

Post by PeterA »

I used Pirtek ( national chain) to make up all the fuel lines in braided ethanol resistant PTFE convoluted hose. Dave is right I had similar issues in that the standard Pirtek banjo fitting was incorrect for the Edelbrock carburettor banjo bolt. I had a local machine shop take the Pirtek banjo bolt reduce it in thickness and the hole size adjusted to suit the Edelbrock bolt. Pirtek then crimped the modified banjo bolt to the new pipe and all has worked well. The whole fuel line is now crimped braided PTFE with mechanical connections, no jubilee clips etc..
Regards Peter
IainS

Post by IainS »

StewbieC wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:22 pm I'm sure Gerry's supplier is BGC Motorsport in Wisbech.
Hope that helps.
Yep I remember now. Just measure the hose length and send them the Holly banjo. They will supply the regulatory end. As said they make the fuel lines for Gerrry and will turn this around quickly, they're good guys.

Iain
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

You'll need proof that the hoses used are suitable for petrol for the IVA test. Brian can supply this with the hoses he supplies (he did for me and my tester asked for it).
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks everyone!