Clutch pedal solid. Rover V8 & LT 77 box

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Clutch pedal solid. Rover V8 & LT 77 box

Post by nikbj68 »

Ok, so I pull out of the petrol station, 1st, 2nd. All good. Nothing unusual. Gently Bentley, between 2 roundabouts. Go for 3rd, the pedal goes to the floor, no resistance, and when it comes up, it's rock solid. Like there's a brick behind it. :shock:
Managed to get home timing shifts to revs, and was lucky not to have to stop at junctions or roundabout.
Get the car up in the air, Master cylinder looks fine, pull the Slave which is a bit grubby, but moves freely. Refit, one pump of the pedal and it's solid again.
Anyone suffered similar? Guesses as to cause? Got to be the clutch release fork and/or release bearing, I assume.

Looks like the winter lay-up has come early in the Bagshaw garage... And I'd just put a tenner's worth of 98 in! :evil: :(
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Clutch pedal solid. Rover V8 & LT 77 box

Post by peterc »

Firstly well done on driving without using the clutch.
I have not had any experience described but obviously you want to check everything easily accessed first. E.g. before removing the engine to check the release fork.
You say the slave moves freely - was that by gently pressing the clutch peddle or merely pushing the piston back in by hand.
Master looks OK but is the peddle OK. Check that nothing has gone wrong that prevents the peddle moving. Should be simple to check by disconnecting the master cyl rod.
Otherwise it looks like the long haul with engine out.
Maybe some other job can be undertaken at the same time to make it a more palatable task.
As I have a Rover engine and LT77 box I await with interest on the findings.
Best of luck.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Just looking at the master cylinder doth butter no parsnips. Your seals have gone, I reckon.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Mmmm...Buttered Parsnips!
I'm working away for a few days, but have taken steps to ensure the engine doesn't have to come out...I've borrowed Dad's engine hoist! Also, he had a spare master cylinder body (He's used the piston) for the Greyhound which I have now snaffled.
I'll refurbish the whole hydraulic system when I get home, and will be delighted if that's it, although as you suggest, Peter, I have been making a mental list of engine-out jobs!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

My only experience of master cylinder problems e.g. Needing new seals is that the peddle just goes to the floor too easily. That is it can't push any fluid. Not sure how it would just go solid as that infers the master cylinder piston can't move. If the seals are gone you should see leakage on the footbox floor.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Depends on the type of mc. Internal failure won't necessarily leak and can cause the pedal to go solid.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Interesting, thanks Roger.
Peter C
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

Could it be the clutch mechanism itself that's failed in some way. I think it's possible for part of the clutch to travel too far and invert and lock solid.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Was expecting to be home yesterday, but now will get home tomorrow night, so hope to investigate on Friday.
Many thanks for the replies, will update as soon as I know anything.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Finally managed to get under the car today. Removed the slave cylinder from the bellhousing, pointed it into a container & pumped the pedal. Out shot the piston and yucky fluid. Refitted the piston & flushed it through several times, and then, with the help of my glamorous assistant, tested the hydraulics.
As Sue pumped the pedal, I held the slave piston in with all the force I could muster. She felt no resistance as the slave cylinder did what it should.
I then refitted it to the bellhousing. Sue said that the clutch felt like the brake.
So I tried it.
Solid.
As above. :evil:

So I pushed harder. Bollox. :oops:
image.jpg
The hydraulics are working sufficiently well to overcome the mostly stripped thread that was holding the slave cylinder on with a different bolt to the other side, pop the piston out, filling the bellhousing with DOT3!!! :evil: :evil:

So. Here we are again. I have borrowed an endoscope camera, and may be able to get a view through the drain hole in the end of the casing, but I figure the gearbox is coming out whatever. Damn Damn DAMN! :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.