Bra steering prob

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
stigrussell

Bra steering prob

Post by stigrussell »

Hi first time posting on site, I recently bought a Bra 289 and when steering it goes in the direction you direct but stays in that position and does not return, any ideas please ?

Stig
tasmin289

Re: Bra steering prob

Post by tasmin289 »

Hi Stig, start by checking the steering column universal joints are not seized or partially seized. Disconnect the track rod ends and check for tightness in the steering rack. Finally check the (MGB) kingpins have not seized. If no tightness or worn components found, next step might involve adjusting the castor of front wheels by pulling them forward slightly. Good luck. Paul.S
stigrussell

Post by stigrussell »

Hi Paul, I'll check best I can or get someone else to as I'm not a grease monkey, but that's really helpful.

Cheers Russ
French BRA 289

Post by French BRA 289 »

Hi
I’ve a steering rack RHD originally cam gears ltd 18993 MGB (shortened imput shaft) and i want to change it with a New one but i don’t want to make a mistake...so do you have a reference please??
I’ve bought too the « castor correction kit » from Frontline development. Thank you for your help
steveshaw

Post by steveshaw »

Hi
If its any help, I have a "build manual" for a BRA289 MkII, it contains instructions for the modifications and dimensions for the steering rack, I would be happy to send you a PDF copy , its rather a poor manual, but is all that exists.
Steve
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

When my rack became poorly I bought a new stock MGB rack and swapped in the BRA input shaft, mind you the input was in good nick.
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Steve,
I would be interested in the build manual if you could send it through.
I thought that i already had one via Robin but the computer seems to have mislaid it!
Many thanks in advance
David
French BRA 289

Post by French BRA 289 »

CobStang wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:19 pm When my rack became poorly I bought a new stock MGB rack and swapped in the BRA input shaft, mind you the input was in good nick.
Yes ok i think i’ll do it...a last question, i buy a chrome or a rubber bumper steering rack ?

Steve : i’ve received your mail....thank you very much!

Jean-Philippe
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Yes ok i think i’ll do it...a last question, i buy a chrome or a rubber bumper steering rack

Jean-Philippe
[/quote]

Sorry I cannot recall.
Probably the only difference will be the length of the drumsticks, if there is a difference. Ask the supplier to measure the two racks and pick the closest to yours. You still may have to put more thread on the drumsticks for the track rod ends and cut them down to get a perfect match, its the sort of thing you have to do when matching up old parts.

Before you do this I would check the king pins are free as suggested above, Disconnect the track rod ball joint and see if you can swivel the wheel freely.
My BRA does not self centre very well, despite increasing the caster and making sure everything is nicely lubed, I have learnt to live with it.