Inverted shock absorbers

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Inverted shock absorbers

Post by peterc »

In reading a recent new car article it mentioned that the shock absorbers were mounted inverted in order to bring more weight in board thus reducing unsprung weight.
Inverted shockers seem to extol the benefits of more strength (especially with struts ) because they have another tube surrounding the reservoir. Viewing a cross sectional drawing it does not indicate why this extra tube is needed and the working parts of the internals are the same as a normal unit. Thus it suggests that a standard shocker could be turned upside down however I’m sure it’s not that simple.
Does anyone know if you invert our standard shock absorber that it ceases to function or performance falls away due to foaming of the oil. I do not believe that my shockers have the gas buffer that more later versions have.
Peter C
Karl

Re: Inverted shock absorbers

Post by Karl »

This is only possible with the single tube, gas filled (25-30 bar) units, which are specially designed for this. It is called the upside-down shock absorber technology, mostly found in modern motorbikes. I don`t know about any units for normal cars, there mi ght be some for racing. Also, most of the time, the upper and lower ends have a different design, so not possible to turn upside-down.
Karl
I have just seen that Bilstein are doing them for severe offroad duty, with seprate reservoirs.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Inverted shock absorbers

Post by peterc »

Thanks Karl,
I know that all the rally cars have inverted units with separate reservoirs on the basis of strength and the reservoirs help keep the oil stable bearing mind the extra travel they need.
I was curious that the internals of the gas filled units seemed the same regardless of which way up they were mounted.
I suspect that standard units without the gas cushion would not tolerate inversion as there is probably an air gap.
Peter C