powerlok differential

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

powerlok differential

Post by peterc »

I currently use an standard open differential but of interest who recommends having a LSD or powerlok in Jaguar terms.
I am not aware that wheel spin has been an issue for me as I am carefull pulling away, but I am also aware that having some form of restriction can be beneficial on windy roads.
Any comments.
Peter C
Fireball

Re: powerlok differential

Post by Fireball »

hi Peter,
With a LSD it's easier to do 360s :D
Finally sorted Dax 'AC 289' after 4 years in the wilderness.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Fireball,
I used to partake in autotests many years ago so I was well used to using a stiff LSD for doing tight manoeuvres around a bollards. Those type of competitive days are long gone but I do know that a lightly set LSD can assist on the road for normal driving. I deleted the LSD on my Westfield SE as the car was too light to make good use of the LSD on the road. A free diff actually worked better.
Therefore I was interested in whether any Cobra drivers found them useful bearing in mind they are also a fair bit lighter.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I should add the the LSD used for autotests was in a saloon car and was a Salisbury mk2 with plates clutches set up to slip at 120ft lbs, so rather tight.e.g. It clonked well when leaving a petrol station.
The Westfield LSD had its clutch plates gripped by gear driven sun gears but the ramp up was rather abrupt. Slightest difference of half shaft speeds locked the diff completely. You would suddenly find yourself with a lot of over steer. Probably good for oval racing but not the road.
I am not familiar with the Jaguar power lock design but believe it is also the gear and ramp design. Therefore the ramp angle would need changing to suit the weight of the car.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Speak to Ed at Wards he must have set up hundreds of jag diffs for virtually every cobra make.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Stewbie,
I appreciate that Wards are able to supply one but it is more a question of is it worth the cost and does it help in road conditions. Who has fitted one and can recommend it.
As said above the Westfield was definitely better off without and the wheels would bite sufficiently to corner well. The Westfield is not so different to the Cobra in weight distribution.
Peter C
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

I wouldn't bother personally Peter, not for road use. It made a massive difference to the MGB when racing, in the dry especially (almost a second a lap at Brands Indy) because it stopped the inside wheel from wheel spinning on corners, but for normal road use - nah! That said, I do have more confidence in my Kirkham when pressing on, specially overtaking in the wet - that's got the Powerlok diff. But all in all, its a pretty big job for not a lot of gain I fear.
Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks for the comments Colin,
Peter C