Smelly boot

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Smelly boot

Post by peterc »

Many years ago I repositioned the fuel pump to be below the boot floor as the consensus was that it was the pump creating the odour. For over a decade now the boot has been petrol smell free until recently.
I have removed the Ali panel hiding the tank and inspected all the connections and hoses but there is nothing obviously amiss.
Does anyone know if the St Stl braided hoses have a life span of say 15 years and I now need to replace them?
There have been debates over modern fuel additives finding their way through petrol hoses which personally I find horrifying.
Has anyone any thoughts on the issue before I start buying replacement hoses.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Smelly boot

Post by clive »

My feeling is that it is the fuel filler hose which causes the petrol smell. As far as I can make out the hose isn't petrol specific and slightly porous to petrol vapour.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Clive, I will look more closely at that and check where I bought it from. Just seems unusual that everything has been fine for ten years plus and now it smells as bad or worse than when the pump was in the boot.
Perhaps might try not filling the tank too close to the top. Being an FIA my filler is at an angle so possibly more prone to getting petrol slopped up into it on LH bends.
Peter C
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by John H »

I had a interesting one on this topic! When the car went away to be painted the guy placed a plastic card at the top of the inlet hose as the cap was removed. With that in place the boot was free from smelling of petrol when I collected it. It was wedged in hard to the body of the car and the paint had stuck it to the body work. Once I removed it and refitted the car - guess what the petrol smell has returned! So I can only think the seal between the inlet hose and the fuel cap leaks vapour . The car has not been out and not refilled - close to empty! Does anyone know of a sealant I can use on the rubber inlet hose to seal it with the cap? Obviously would need to cope with petrol!
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I got some fuel and brake fluid sealant which is like a liquid PTFE. Smeared on all joints and can hardly smell fuel in my boot.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I can visualise that the hose with it’s heavy duty spiral re enforcing could be an issue despite using bolt operated band clamps.
Stewbie could you advise a make of the sealant please. Autofactors are a bit thin of the ground here and I doubt Mr Halfords can help.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Peter, are you saying you have reinforced hose between the fuel cap and the tank? In my application it is just a standard rubber hose.
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive, to be honest the hose is viturally covered by both bolt clamps. It is certainly thick wall and commercial experience says jubilee clips were not going to be suitable. I will check to see if if has a spiral re enforcement. Either way as said previously it’s been perfectly OK for 10+ years so I don’t know why I am getting smells now. I am happy to try Stewbie’s idea/ advice of sealant as a first attempt to resolve.
The only other idea that comes to mind is that when checking the tank dimensions last year I needed to remove the Ali panel hiding the tank. It was a bit of a struggle to get back in and one of the fuel hoses did get pinched. Bearing in mind they are protected by St Stl braiding but it’s always possible that the pinch affected the rubber inside. Of course that was the lower hose between tank outlet and isolating valve so means I will need to empty tank to be able to remove it.
As a precaution I think I will order a new tank outlet hose anyway ready for an opportunity when the tank is low and there is less to siphon out. It will be peace of mind even if it doesn’t solve the problem.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I guess it won't do any harm. I sometimes wonder if the smell is fibreglass rather than petrol. (Or both!)
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Most definitely petrol that dissipates fairly quickly by leaving the boot open. I don’t like leaving the boot propped up for days on end as it can give the lid a bit of twist.
Peter C