Smelly boot

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Smelly boot

Post by StewbieC »

peterc wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:11 pm I can visualise that the hose with it’s heavy duty spiral re enforcing could be an issue despite using bolt operated band clamps.
Stewbie could you advise a make of the sealant please. Autofactors are a bit thin of the ground here and I doubt Mr Halfords can help.
Peter C
Hi Peter, I use the Brake and pipe sealant from Frosts restoration costs 11.50 and lasts for years. There are similar versions on EBay that are slightly cheaper, but you'll have to confirm with the seller that they are petrol resistant.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Stewbie. I’ll investigate accordingly.
Peter C
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

I'd be interested to know how you get on Peter, my boot has always had the petrol smell !!

Regards

Bill
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Peter simply if it was fine before it must be a hose that has deteriorated. Mine always smelled until I replaced fuel filler hose and removed the flanges joint through the fibreglass by connected a aluminium pipe from filler cap through to rubber filler neck.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I am inclined to agree with you so I am currently waiting on a price from BGC for a new set of hoses and valve to improve the existing set up. It will be peace of mind if nothing else. When I removed the petrol pump from the boot I re used the hoses previously supplied so the routing was not the best.
It will now mean a sub plate cover added to the existing tank cover to suit the new hose positions but heh it will then be easier to fit.
Looking forward to their reply and getting them fitted.
Peter C
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

I would also be interested to know how you get on as my boot has always stunk...
Not that i dislike it..
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hoses now on order so due soon.
More than happy to advise the outcome.
I will keep the boot closed for a few days and then have a sniff to see if it is OK.
If smell continues then next move is to investigate the filler neck flexible.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just another thought.
Who bothered to polish the face of the tapped bush on the tank before fitting the banjo connection.
I have just fitted the new hoses and noticed that the copper washer that was bolted to the boss was not a totally a uniform colour. This could possibly indicate a seepage albeit its taken 10-15 years to materialise.
I would have checked the boss for being clean and smooth but perhaps the paint should have been polished off. It is now because the boss looked dirty.
They do say check the simple things first.
Testing begins.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Initial results are that the boot still smells.
New hoses fitted and every joint assembled with blue hylomar which says that it’s suitably resistant to fuels.
I wouldn’t normally use any sealant on banjo couplings but thought that in the circumstances sealant might be the answer.
I would have willingly followed Stewbie’s advice to use PTFE sealant but Fosters were out of stock.

So I’m not sure of the next step bearing in mind that there is only around 1.5 gallons in the tank and the car has not moved an inch suggests that it has got to be a low level joint that’s not perfect. I did use new copper washers on the tank outlet.
At least I’m getting better at syphoning out the fuel !
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Progress report.
Boot has been closed for three weeks now and the smell is definitely no where near as bad as it had been like in a shorter period of time.
Still think that there is room for further improvement. Discovered that the Europa supplied fuel filler hose has an external re enforcing rib. Due to the short/ tight fitment I think that there is the possibility that the bolt action clamps don’t clamp 100%.
So I now intend to locate/fit some non reinforced fuel hose as a precaution.

Advice to others would be to check the banjo fitment to the lower tank boss if you didn’t ensure that it was nicely flat/ polished when you first installed the lower hose.
I am also happy to admit that it is most likely that I had squashed one of the hoses too much when fitting/removing the tanks’ Ali shield as the boot had been without much smell for a long time.
Peter C