Tyre Options

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Tyre Options

Post by clive »

It's getting close to MOT time and I've been casting a weather eye over the T Car and have noticed that the front tyres are wearing on the inside so I need to look at replacing them. Currently I have Pirellis fitted all round but as they are no longer available I am looking for an alternative. As far as I can ascertain, the options for 205/70 ZR 15 are:-

Blockley Radial V Rated @ £149
Vredestein Classics @ £193
Michelin XWX @ £261
Dunlop @ £270

I was wondering what members have fitted to new builds, or those who have moved away fro Pirellis have fitted as replacements. Also is the higher price of the Michelins and Dunlops worth the extra?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Johannes1

Re: Tyre Options

Post by Johannes1 »

Morning,
why not the Michelin XWX 215/70 ZR 15 ? Looks great, good performance an in this dimension they fill the wheelhouse better.

regards
Johannes
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Thanks for the reply Johannes,

I do agree that the 215s look good but I'm only replacing two tyres so would rather keep to the same size as already fitted. On paper the Michelins do look good, but are they worth the extra £120 a tyre when only driven a couple of thousand miles a year in near perfect conditions?
Cheers, Clive.

KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive,
Sorry can't help with that size but if you want to compromise I would probably go for the Vredestein as a known quality brand.
Are the fronts definitely dodgy for the MOT.
Could you not swap them to the rear and even up the wear.
At the risk of teaching my elders have you checked the toe in and camber before you add new tyres and wear them the same. Just surprised they are worn on the inside rather than the outer edge.
Peter C
Wynterburne

Post by Wynterburne »

I am getting a full set of Blockleys fitted next week after using P4000's up to now.

Julian only sells direct or via MWS.

If you haven't seen it take a look at the 2017 Festival of Speed video of him taking the 35B up in the timed runs.

Regards Richard
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Richard,

Great to hear from you and I hope you are well. I haven't seen the video, perhaps you could send me a link. I will be extremely interested to hear how you you rate the Blockleys against the P4000s. Are you sticking with the 205/70 option or the 215/70s? My feeling is that I've heard of the major brands but not the Blockleys so I'm a wee bit cautious of trying them, especially as they are considerably cheaper (or better value) than the others, so is the performance and wear not quite as good either?

My MOT is due at the end of the month and i'm pretty sure the tyres will pass, and if they do I'll wait until Silverstone to check out what other members are using.

Incidentally, are all your tyres worn? Perhaps there is a market within the club for part worn P4000s!

Regards CJ

ps. Are you going to Silverstone this year?
Cheers, Clive.

Wynterburne

Post by Wynterburne »

Hi Clive

I am just driving back from Devon so will be in touch once home.

Regards Richard
Wynterburne

Post by Wynterburne »

Hi Clive

This is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0JlQeCeExs - on Blockleys.

I am staying with 205/70's as I see no reason to change and don't want the wheels to look over tyred. Reason for changing is on age not mileage, all have about 5mm left, but a couple are 16 years old and hard as nails.

Julian Majzub, who owns Blockley, is well known in vintage racing, 35B's, Alfa Romeo 308C and Sadler Chevrolet to name a few. Blockley tyres are the tyre of choice for many competitors. He started making them for his own collection of cars feeling the other makes were sub-standard and it took off from there. One reason that the price is very competitive is that he does not sell through the usual tyre dealers and so hasn't got to build a margin in to his prices. I expect you will not hear many good words about Blockley from said suppliers as they don't like the fact he won't sell via them.

£260 for a Michelin seems pretty excessive for a couple of thousand miles a year and I fully expect the Blockleys to be as good or better.

I will let you know how they are as soon as I have a few miles on them, having spoken at length to Julian I am expecting great things and will probably put them on the 12/50 at the next change.

I won't be at Silverstone as it clashes with a very local show here.

Regards
Richard
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Im sorry to hear you won't be at Silverstone this year, but thanks for the link Richard. If that's what he can do on a 90 year old Bugatti it's good enough for me. I must admit I was a bit sceptical about the cost compared to the other options as I didn't want to fit an inferior tyre. I tried calling them earlier to have a chat but they're closed until next week. I only need to replace two at the moment as the rears are relatively new with a fair depth of tread, but I might replace all four at that price.
Cheers, Clive.