Good earths

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Good earths

Post by peterc »

I have for some time been aware of the ignition warning light just starting to show some colour when the headlights are on.
I had already checked the earthing of headlights and associated power/ earth cables to no avail.

Bearing mind all the instrumentation is earthed onto the scuttle A frame it stands to reason that the frame needs to be adequately earthed. Don’t believe that just because it is bolted down to the chassis that it must be earthed correctly. Remember that parts have been painted!

I had been meaning to install a separate earth cable directly from the battery to the scuttle frame for quite a while but lack of night time journeys meant it wasn’t very close to the top of the to do list.
I don’t think Andrew M will mind me stating that he had some curious gremlins until he decided to add the said earth lead.
So this spurred me on to get on and fit it. Yes, folks the light no longer starts to glow.
I now intend to install a separate earth cable to the rear of the car again directly from the battery although I know that the rear light earths are attached with self tappers going into the chassis.

So if you haven’t already added a good earth to the scuttle and/ or rear of the car it might pay you to do so.
Peter C
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Good earths

Post by John H »

HI Peter,
Good point. Added to this winters to do list! I don't have an issue today but sounds like a good future proof item! John
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!