Steering UJ's

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
IainS

Steering UJ's

Post by IainS »

Hi all,

I have now done some 1200 miles without a hitch. I expected at some stage to replace the steering rack as it's the original one from the donor and I know it has some play. However I have noticed increasing amounts of play over recent months and rattle which I have now traced to play in both (new) UJ's. This surprised me as they are new and I wouldn't have expected these to wear that fast, it really is quite noticeable. Anyone else experienced this? Simple replacement, I'm just surprised. Think I got these from MGOC spares.

Iain
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Steering UJ's

Post by clive »

Hi Iain, I've not had any bother with the UJs, but I had to replace my steering rack last week. There is also a small amount of play where the steering column fits through the footbox but a wee dab of epoxy sorted that, and that's after 40k miles!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
IainS

Post by IainS »

Thanks Clive, does seem strange. Anyway I've ordered a couple from Moss so I'll pop them in at the weekend and see how it goes.

Steering rack at some stage likely to be needed, it is 50 years old!

Iain
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Out of interest how do you install the UJ’s with regards to orientation. I decided that the intermediate shaft should have one end with the pivot vertical and the other end horizontal. My brain suggested that this would even up the rotation.
I might have opened up a can of worms here and subsequent furious debate will start but either way glad you mentioned UJ’s as I found my bottom UJ bolt not quite tight enough onto the steering rack.
Peter C
IainS

Post by IainS »

Well I do exactly as you say Peter but only because it works with my OCD and allows me to tighten the bolts easily. I'd be surprised if orientation has any real bearing on performance? Excuse the pun.....

Iain