Engine change/installation advice

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Engine change/installation advice

Post by stu60 »

Has anyone swapped engines with the body tub in place? Any tips for access, which parts to remove pre-removal etc?

I will be swapping a rover 3.5 v8 for a rebuilt Rover 4.0 v8 (edelbrock & holley) and will probably swap front cover from existing engine (slimmer profile) together with converting the 4.0 oil pump to distributor driven.

Haven't had chance to have a good look at access from underneath yet but at moment i assume best to remove complete engine & LT77 transmission through bonnet aperture.

However, it occurred to me that this has probably been done before and any advice/tips/instructions greatly appreciated

thanks Stuart
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Engine change/installation advice

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Stuart,
Not changed the engine and gearbox myself, but the general idea is to remove the bonnet and anything forward of the engine, get the rear of the car up on axle stands to tilt it forward and then a decent heavy duty engine crane (with as long a reach as possible - some reduce to only 100kg when you extend the jib) or other lifting equipment.
(obviously remove prop shaft, speedo cable, transmission tunnel and the like).
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

My engine/gearbox went in as one piece with body on.
I think the only comment to add to Stuarts notes above is to lay a piece of carpet over the nose of the bonnet so that the engine front pulley doesn't do its worst to the paintwork as its comes out.
I inserted and bolted up my headers after the engine was in. Trying to move the engine with them attached I would suggest is too difficult.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Yep - what Stu and Peter said.

Here's a time-lapse of my engine and box going in!

youtu.be/I5ZqMU9Lw2M
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

hi
thanks for the replies and the video which is really helpful. how far off the ground did you lift the rear of the car ?
thanks stuart
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

A bit of a shame with the video - we set up another iPhone for a second angle view of the whole process, but someone forgot to press record and we didn't notice until it was in!

Didn't lift the back at all. The adjustable bar that I got from SGS Engineering worked a treat, but like Peter says, make sure you protect the front of the engine bay. Maybe use some of that expanded foam packing you sometimes get round new tellies or whatever. We made a slight chip in it, but fortunately it isn't painted yet. The engine crane sometimes descends faster than you expect!
Andy