Indicator arm

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
David Large

Re: Indicator arm

Post by David Large »

I will take some but probably not until Monday.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

The beetle indicator switch has a housing that is an exact fit with the bottom of the Motolita boss. It fits on the outer tube of the column and fastens with a single screw. It is neccessary to remove the cancelling lug in the column and replace it. I think most of us use a correctly positioned cable tie! Personally I find the horn button on the back of the indicator switch works fine and is OK. I sprayed my boss to achieve the same finish as the switch, and it looks great.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks Allen I guess most people don't use centre horn push, I was trying to make it look like early cobra with indicator on horn push but decided too expensive so have gone half way maybe I will just make a cooling up if I can't get the vs switch to connect to the mgb horn ring. Cheers
kenv

Post by kenv »

Dave Whitty sorted the indicators and horn push with a bluetooth system, which is beyond me technically, but obviously works. It's on his build site on here. hope that helps? Cheers Ken
Regards
Ken
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I was under the impression that the switch on the underside of the indicator arm is for headlight main beam not horn. That's how it functions on Beetles and Karmann Ghias
If possible get a used VW assembly rather than a repro one, as the repro are absolutely abysmal and it's really hit or miss if it works as it should, ask me how I Now grrr!!
Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

From memory Tony you also have the Ace style steering wheel which I guess was used on the first few Cobras ( 260 ci )
For the Mk2- 289 the main/dip switch should be a P6 Rover unit on the RH side of the dash. I have written an article on mounting it a while back. It does make getting into the car a little more difficult!
As per Allan the button on the reverse of my indicator stalk is the horn.
If you want the button to be the dip switch then I think you will need a suitable latching relay.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

This is the dash of an original 260 Cobra.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Dave Whitty's scheme for rigging this up using wireless looks pretty interesting. I just found his photos - click here and scroll down a little to the 12th December entry: http://g4fev.atspace.com/hawk2.6.htm#winter

It looks like the place he bought the RF modules from has since disappeared from the internet though.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive, do I assume that the knob on the horn push will be the indicator and thus no stalk.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I think it is the trigger on the top of the horn push.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)