Old Technical Sheets

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
allan horsfall

Old Technical Sheets

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen,

I seem to recall that there used to be a number of old 'build articles' on the forum with some really usefull data. In particular I am currently trying to find one that comprehensively covered the fitting of 289 rocker covers on to a Rover block, ie the carb spacer size, the breather arrangement required, spacing of the accelerator mechanism etc. Does anybody know what has happened to them please, or where I can find them???

Allan
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Old Technical Sheets

Post by StewbieC »

In the members area Allan.
When you log on the forum and go back to the home page, there's additional menu options.

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Stu,
I've looked there already, no sign. The stuff I'm after used to be on the old forum I think, and was accessed from the face page ?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Allan,
It was there the other week as I was having a read of Roger's IRS build up.
Maybe a mail to Andy Mulheirn?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Allan,
I did write an article on the fitting of Ford rocker covers to a Rover but can’t locate just now.
What I can say is that I used a 0.5” Ali spacer followed by approx 0.25” of thin Ali spacers with gaskets to provide a thermal boundary for the Weber/ Carter Carb on an Eldebrook low raise manifold.
The conversion pieces for the Ford covers to Rover heads I bought from Gerry as I couldn’t locate anyone to laser cut them for me at the time.
I did have to file one of the fins on the drivers side cover to miss the carb linkage as it fowled by about 1.5 mm.
Throttle wise I have a cable all the way to the carb so it wasn’t an issue to alter the height of the carb.
The breather system used a fair bit of the old Rover tubes but basically had a tube from drivers side cover to join with another from the underside of the air filter and then onto the cap on the near side cover.
I’ll see if I can locate more details.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi all -

Those 'members area' items are now all within the new members database. Log in to www.the289register.com/amember/login and you will find them off the top menu: click Members Content then Technical Articles.

Cheers,
Andy
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Thanks Peter,
Do I assume the spacers under the carb are in addition to the alloy leveling spacer.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

My main spacer is 12 thk and is as far as I can see parallel not tapered.
The extra shims (total 6 thk) as per my article are insulating type being a mixture of gaskets and 1.5 thk Ali.
There are no other spacers or packers involved.
I didn’t see the need for a tapered spacer as the engine didn’t appear to be that far out of level.
I have just put a spirit level on my rocker cover and estimate that you would only need about 1mm to make the carb flat. I think the roads go up and down enough not to worry.
Peter C