Optima red-top advice

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Optima red-top advice

Post by amulheirn »

Hi -

I've got an Optima red-top battery which does not appear to be holding charge for long and I wondered what your thoughts were.

There are quite a few tutorials on reviving these batteries using a standard charger when they have got below 10 volts in them. The process is basically to hook up a second, well-charged battery in parallel with the Optima and that fools the charger into charging them both.

However that doesn't appear to be my problem - the battery can go on a charger on its own just fine. It charges overnight and reads 13 volts at the end of the process, but after a couple of starts is showing just 11. I am wondering if it has become 'sulphated'? I bought it a couple of years ago and it has been mostly unused until recently. Probably this lack of use has caused my issue.

These batteries are AGM type - some kind of gel and mat arrangement. So Optima do a special charger in the US. Over here, Ring do a charger that is quite pricey but covers AGM batteries and does desulphation as well. https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools ... d-diagnose

Just wondered what your thoughts were? Is the expensive Ring one worth it (£85 at Halfords) , or would a cheap £12 one from eBay be just as good?

Cheers,
Andy
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Optima red-top advice

Post by clive »

I have a battery conditioner/charger which I bought from a caravan/mobile home accessory shop. About £60 if i remember, and it can be left connected to the battery when the vehicle is not in use and will keep it topped up throughout long periods. You don't need to disconnect the vehicle battery whilst charging as you should do with a standard charger and it will bring back batteries that appear to be dead. I used to connect it after every run when I first built the car, but I don't think I've used it on the 289 for at least ten years now. The car has a bog standard Halfords high output battery which has been replaced only once in 12 years and cranks the engine easily even after long periods of inactivity.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Clive - I decided I probably need something similar so made an offer on one for £55 on eBay.

That said, my current Ring Smartcharge8 apparently does do desulphation during its charge cycle, and it has been on that charger a number of times. No change to its ability to hold a charge for some reason.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Mine is on the floor of the workshop awaiting transport to the tip. A normal lead acid battery has been in the car for 2 years without issue. I trust that answers your question Andy :twisted:
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Stu and Clive, and also peterc who offered a loan charger!

I managed to snag the 'award-winning' charger mentioned above on eBay for £55, so I'll see if that fixes things. I've also written to Optima for some advice - my symptoms don't match what they describe in most of their help documents. I've said I paid 3 times the price of a traditional battery for a product I thought would be better, only to find it isn't any use and that other club members have similar experiences... Will see what happens...
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

StewbieC wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:13 pm Mine is on the floor of the workshop awaiting transport to the tip. A normal lead acid battery has been in the car for 2 years without issue. I trust that answers your question Andy :twisted:
I bought 2 to get the cranking current up for the big block.
Admittedly I didn't look after them as well as i should, but likewise, now awaiting disposal.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks - am beginning to think I am wasting my time with this thing.

Got the new charger, did a recondition cycle, then charged overnight and it was at 13.2 volts. Left it for 24 hours and it has lost a volt already, simply sitting on the bench.

No response from Optima, and I can't find my receipt to try to get a warranty replacement. What a waste of cash.