MGB column bush

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

MGB column bush

Post by simonjrwinter »

If I grab hold of my steering column where it comes through the bulkhead (engine side) I can move it up and down more than I should be able to (not at home so cant put up a video) I’ll obviously have to take the column out but can anybody tell me what bush I will need for the lower part of the upper column?
Thank you
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
kenv

Re: MGB column bush

Post by kenv »

Just about to do that myself, assuming it's the early MGB column, it's on the MGOC site it's:- Bush - Lower - Felt 17H6565
Hope that helps?
Regards
Ken
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Make sure it isn't the outer column moving in the hole in the footwell. I thought the bush in mine was worn but discovered there was a slight gap in the hole because the column comes through at an angle. A wee drop of epoxy adhesive filled the gap and all is now well.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I seem to remember having the same issue and re enforced the bulkhead with an Ali plate.
Peter C
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

I bought a large heavy duty grommet that had internal diameter same size as outer sleeve of column. This mounts in the bulk head wall vertically, but because the column is fixed at an angle rather horizontally through grommet it wedges in the grommet slightly so no wobble or movement.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Thanks gents. The outer column is fixed pretty solidly in the bulkhead. It’s the inner column that has the play.
Simon
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Video here....
https://youtu.be/FPd8TMhFgmE

Pics show column. Do you think it’s MGB or Gerry’s column?
Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

That is an early B column.
That looks like the felt bushes have dried out. The quickest acceptable fix is to pack them out with thin card. Cornflakes packets are known to suit. The felt then needs to have oil smeared into them. When you reassemble the column the steering will initially be tight and will not self centre, but then loosens pretty quickly to an acceptable level.
The bushes are felt strips about 3/4" wide that are cut diagonally (where both ends mate) and seated in a recess at the bottom of the column. To get to them you have to remove the column, draw out the shaft and then you can get to the felt bushes. You might want to check and change the plastic bush at the top too!
Good luck!
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Thanks Stu, will remove, assess and report back...
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The reason for the play is probably a result of the top of the column shaft being pulled out more at the top to allow sufficient column shaft at the top to extend through the dash and allow the VW indicator switch and Boss to be fitted. It's the same with most cars mine included.
BTW. If you decide to paint your footwells White, use Innotec White construction primer and clear coat. Looks very similar to white gel coat. Masking up is a bit of a pain but the results will look splendid. Just need to key the surface with some 400 grit paper.