Racing Fuel Tank - Design Required

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Colin Newbold

Racing Fuel Tank - Design Required

Post by Colin Newbold »

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a proper racing tank built in my Kirkham 289, complete with safety foam etc. Can anyone supply me with a schematic drawing of how I can install twin pick ups (I'm assuming one picking up from either side of the tank) that then together feed a catch-tank/swirl pot (not sure what the correct terminology is) that then provides constant fuel to the carburettor? Is this going to require a pump that draws fuel from either side of the tank and then fills the catch-tank or is there some other way to fill the catch-tank from either side of the tank - will gravity be enough?

The current fuel pump will presumably have to draw fuel from the catch-tank - right? I know some of the racing Cobras have this kind of set up, so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Colin Newbold

Re: Racing Fuel Tank - Design Required

Post by Colin Newbold »

Maybe it was the way I asked but as you can see I didn't get a lot of response! No worries, my fuel tank fabricator (Tim Honess of Brise Fabrications near Ebbsfleet) has come up with a cunning but relatively simple plan...

On the Kirkham there's just enough room to add a flat bottomed dish about 6" diameter, 3/4" deep, roughly in the middle of the base of the tank and still be able to slide it in and out through the cockpit. The pick up pipe is right at the bottom of the dish so there's always going to be fuel there, even on the longest of bends. Entrance to the dish is restricted by a 3" diameter chamfered neck. Externally, the tank will look identical to the original in all other respects but will be built to FIA Regs out of ally (not stainless) and filled with foam. Capacity should be same as before at about 76 litres.

Just thought you'd all like to know that :wink: :wink:

...and a Merry Christmas to you all :!:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Colin,
It might be down to people being unsure.
I would have suggested Brise, they made my radiator to my drawing and it was perfect. Brilliant alloy fabricators!
Hope you have a good Christmas!
Migge

Post by Migge »

Magnum Industriegebiet 040.jpg
Colin,

It's maybe too late. In my Magnum I had a second tank in the right fender which had another 18 Ltr.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Special customized BRA289
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Thanks guys, I'm just delighted that I havent got to bugger about with a swirl pot and extra fuel pump and piping - in an area that's pretty crowded already! Also need to quieten the current pump, its bolted direct to the chassis and makes a helluva racket... I feel rubber absorption needs to be introduced...

All the best and thanks again!
Colin
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Just remember to earth the pump if fitting rubber bobbins. :P
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Migge

Post by Migge »

....makes a helluva racket..

But then you know it's working :-)
Special customized BRA289
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

clive wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:40 pm Just remember to earth the pump if fitting rubber bobbins. :P
Ah! That's what that spare wire's for!

Thank you Clive :D
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

So...I know you've all been holding your breath to learn what I eventually did...!

In consultation with my old mate Tim Honess of Brise Fabrications (Unit F3, Northfleet Industrial Estate, Lower Rd, Northfleet, Gravesend DA11 9SW; Phone: 01322 277622), we co-created a cunning yet simple plan. A new racing style tank (foam filled with baffles, aluminium instead of stainless steel) to copy the exact shape and dimensions of the original. But with one significant difference: a small swirl dish pretty much in the centre of the base. Although only about .75 inches in depth, the diameter (about 7 inches) means there will always be fuel in it to prevent fuel surge. The pick-up pipe is of course situated right at the bottom centre of this swirl dish. The photos of the finished article tell the story:
New Fuel Tank #1.jpg
This picture shows one of the retaining brackets:
New Fuel Tank #2.jpg
This picture shows the swirl dish (on the base):
New Fuel Tank #3.jpg
Swirl dish again:
New Fuel Tank #4.jpg
It was a pig of a job if I'm honest. Unlike you guys with your fancy fibreglass cars, in the Kirkham I had to remove all the riveted-in panelwork either side of the fuel tank. That means the bulkhead behind the seats (seats out first, then roll hoop, then what little carpet I have...and that's all before I can even get to the panelwork!) and then it's round the other side to the boot (trunk) area and again remove bulkhead (two pieces). Dozens of rivets to drill out and then eventually replace :roll:

Well...I finally got it all back together last weekend and it starts ok, with no apparent leaks. But sadly the fuel guage no longer works, and that's despite moving the sender from the old tank to the new tank and taking great care over the wiring as it all went back in. Hey ho! Racers use a stick to measure with anyway!

Pleased to report an added bonus: a 3.5kg weight saving!

First drive is this Friday, driving down to stay in my sister's house (20 mins from Goodwood) in readiness for this weekend's GRRC Members' Meeting.

Fingers crossed eh!

Colin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just don’t mention the increase of ethanol in petrol that likes eating everything.
I am currently being persuaded by BGC that despite changing the hoses in the boot that the smell is due to the petrol leeching though the rubber!
I might consider changing the hoses for steel pipe.
What precautions do you have to take in a race car Colin?
Peter C