Lockwire query

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Lockwire query

Post by simonjrwinter »

One of my IVA fail points was that the brake balance bar wasn’t locked in place (the nylocks weren’t deemed sufficient)
I had planned to lockwire the nuts in place as opposed to any other way of fixing (roll pins etc?)
I’d always assumed that the idea with lock wiring was that the hole was drilled through the nut and the bolt, but it seems I was wrong and that it just goes through a couple of flats of the nut. Does anyone know if this is likely to be acceptable? ( particularly to Gillingham )
Thanks
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Lockwire query

Post by StewbieC »

I roll pinned mine, most testers like to see the nuts welded but welding inside a footwell of a fibreglass car isn't really a good idea.
Not sure if the lock wire would be accepted, I doubt it personally. The purpose is not to stop the nuts coming loose rather than rendering the bias non-adjustable.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Good point
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Although.....on closer inspection of the manual......
AB846E17-984C-41D8-9E7F-0EB6BBA6CF0D.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Simon,
The drilling through of the nut is not easy unless you have a guide to hold the drill bit steady. Without a guide you will probably need to drill in at a steeper angle to the flat before moving to the desired angle to follow through to the adjacent flat. When doing the actual lock wiring just make sure you have the wire going in the correct direction to maintain tension on the wire preventing the nut from turning away from its tightened position. I have seen it done wrong before!
Peter C