Glove box fitting

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Glove box fitting

Post by Jerryedmans »

Am just rebuilding dash after IVA and now adding the glove box. Wondered if I can ask how others fitted. It's a tight fit with the demister vent immediately behind, the scuttle above and the dashboard chassis member immediately underneath. I was initially thinking I would bond Gerry's glove box to the back of his supplied dash, but now wondering if it would be better to separately mount the glove box insert to the chassis rail so that it aligns to the dash when that's mounted. Otherwise I am envisaging a wrestling match trying to get the dash in place if the box is bonded to the dash. No doubt this problem has been solved many times over so trying to avoid reinventing wheel. Also, have ordered a hinge for box door. One side will screw to edge of door. The other side of hinge? I guess depends if the box is separately mounted - if not then assume hinge mounts on box, otherwise hinge would have to mount somehow on the face of dashboard else on a wooden spar glued to face?

Thanks for any tips

Cheers

Jerry
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Glove box fitting

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Jerry,
My glove box is not Gerrys moulding but a much deeper box that is custom made. Some folk make glove boxes out of aluminium, mine is made from thermoformed high density polypropylene. It bolts to the top face of the scuttle frame. The glove box lid hinge mounts to the lower return flange of the dash.
Hope that helps.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Helpful thanks Stu. I think I will also look to mount the box separately. By lower return flange I think do you mean the v bottom edge of dash? There is also a small flange / edge at the bottom of the glove box opening? I've ordered a small piano hinge for the door which appears to be what originals were fitted with and scratching my head how to align the hinge joint with outer edge of glove box door - perhaps by packing out the hinge mount from the lower return flange with wood which hinge can screw into? Or did you use a different type of door hinge? Cheers for your help.
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Hmmm - realise I have made assumption originals use a piano hinge - wondering if the hinge could be leather?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The return flange or lip is the return on the bottom of the glove box opening. Mine is a about 1/2 inch deep about the same depth as the piano hinge I used. The only question is, exposed hinge or covered. Mine is covered which meant an extended flap of the material covering the lid. Which goes under the hinge (sandwiched between the hinge and dash) then flips back over the top of the hinge to cover it completely.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Got it. Thanks Stu