Tripod headlamps

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Tripod headlamps

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’d quite like to put a pair of these on my Hawk, but have been told they are rubbish. Does anybody have any experience of them?
Thanks
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Tripod headlamps

Post by clive »

Hi Simon, they certainly look the part and if you're not doing much night driving they're ok. I personally was doing a lot of miles at night at the likes of Le Mans and returning from Silverstone late in the day and found them pretty hopeless. The ones with the built in sidelight bulbs do not dip to the left so there isn't much definition between road and kerb. I swapped mine for Cibe units and updated the bulbs to PIAA ones. Much better but still not as good as modern units.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I agree.
I have tried both types of tripod headlight ( circular center and shield center ) and neither is very good.
The continual upgrade through different offerings from Mr Halfords from the standard bulb to the latest +150% proved no real improvement. So if you intend to enjoy some night driving do as Clive suggests and get a decent make of headlight like Cibie.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I've got some PL repros from S-v-c and they're not too bad. With the side lights. If you are planning a long tour with night driving, it's easy to swap them for something with a better beam pattern.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Thanks gents, pretty much confirmed what I’d been told.
That’s a very good point Stu, the amount of night driving will be minimal and it’s only two screws to swap them over if it’s an issue.....
Simon
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Well, I installed a pair of SVC “PL” tripod headlamps and some “PIAA” bulbs
I’ve not driven the car yet but a comparison on the back of the garage door between old and new showed no degradation in the beam pattern and the new bulbs give a small but useful increase in light levels. Of course the real test will be driving it on the road and in the dark.
I can only compare it to my TR6 which would benefit from bigger candles than are currently fitted.
Simon
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Simon, before try them on the road ensure they are set up correctly. I found quite a difference between the P700 copy and the PL700. 4 turns of the adjustment screw is quite a lot!
There was an article in the club magazine from me a while ago with the set up dimensions.
Try Autumn 2014 - No 53.
Peter C