Engine Oil for Rover engines

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Engine Oil for Rover engines

Post by peterc »

Thanks guys.
Ah yes, ask 6 engineers their opinion and get 6 different replies but thanks anyway as it’s good to know owners preferences.
As already advised I have used Mobil 10-40 semi synthetic for over a decade without any known problems but I can certainly buy into the idea of there now being a better/ more suitable oil.
Castrol do recommend a 10-40 for a Land Rover 4.6 but realistically the Landy is not tuned. Eg. Still under 250 BHP.
Apparently Rover engines are not expected to have high oil pressure but need plenty of flow. 20 psi at tick over and 40 psi once the revs are up is all that’s expected.
A 10 - 40 oil will flow faster particularly beneficial when the engine is cold. It’s a question of whether a 10-60 is better to give that extra protection when hot and under load. Castrol certainly recommend it for TVR’s. The Rover engine is also renowned for getting hot so the 60 rated oil would give better protection.
I will add my findings to the club’s Wiki section but at the end of the day it will still be down to each owner to make their descision which way to go.
It would have been nice to get categoric evidence of what oil to use depending on the state of tune. E.g below 250 BHP, 250-300 and then 300+.
I don’t think that any of the oils mentioned are unsuitable, it starts to come down to what you expect of the engine and how much you are prepared to pay.

Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Guys,

I did a lot of checking on this last year, looking at relevant Rover V8 web sites, engine builders etc, and in the end plumpt for Millers 20-50 Classic, a mineral oil. Purchased on line.
Although clearly, some oils are better than others, I suspect in the end analysis the margin of difference between the available oils in the developed world is fairly small, and unless we are talking racing and very high stress usage, none of them are likely to bugger the engine.
I emphasis the developed world, as oils refined in China and India for instance are definately below par.
Allan
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Alan, I think you are right that most oils are probably good enough for non racing engines.
I have not come across any Indian/ Chinese made oils but that is why I would always stick with a top European name. Round our way most of the auto factors stock brands that I'm not sure of.
I am getting the impression that 20-50 mineral oil is fine for a basic 3.5 L Rover or even the 3.9 but not the bigger capacity units over 4.0L.
This could be interpreted as the older units ( pre '80? ) were designed with that oil in mind. By the time the bigger capacity Rovers were created oil design had moved on and tolerances, extra BHP etc demanded a higher grade of oil.
Yes, a complex subject which we mere mortals rely on the manufacturers listings. The downside of that is they are all deleting the older cars from their reference lists.
I spoke to some one in Halfords a couple of days ago and tried to make the point that it is the older cars that are normally maintained by their owners therefore the reference lists should reflect this. A waste of breath!!!
It’s amazing that this whole discussion was kicked off by Halfords not having their web site up to date and the omission of my usual oil. Having started the investigation they are likely to now miss out on a sale.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Alan,
Just phoned RPI who build Rover V8’s they recommend Valvolene 20-50 which is a mineral oil!
Millers do both a Classic ( mineral) and a Classic Sport ( semi synthetic) .
The Classic mineral oil they suggest is for pre ‘80 engines.
I will be compiling my findings on oils and adding them to the wiki to save others the exhaustive search.
It will still be a personal choice as the options are vast.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The reason why RPI recommend Valvoline VR1 20W50 is because of the high ZDDP content which isn't added to most oils today (owing to the carciogenic risks and issues with catalytic converters) .
This is a must for flat tappet cams and reduces the chance of cam lobe failure (which is an issue with Rover engines I'm lead to believe).
I use it in my Ford.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Stewart,
After exhaustive investigations I did have the Valvolene at the top of my list but confess I was still considering one or two others which were semi synthetic.
With the advice supplied by several members including a member who runs a very large capacity Rover in his MGB for sprinting I think I will be changing to the Valvolene.
Peter C
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

The Miller 20/60 is a semi-synthetic with ZDDP.
F692A39E-4E5A-403C-B3B6-3A6391E2DC76.jpeg

And a Cobra on the tin...

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-114422-mil ... e-oil.aspx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Nik,
I was quite prepared to follow your lead albeit I would have probably chosen the 20-50 Version.
I had a lengthy discussion with Millers and I queried the use of the Classic Sport 20-60 but their reply was that they didn’t recommend using a 60 rated oil unless I had pressure problems. They recommended EE10-40 as being better option although their personal presence was for CFS10-60 !!
An email from a fellow 289 member ( with an especially large capacity Rover ) said he was absolutely adamant that Rover engines needed the 20-50 mineral oil. He stated he had learnt the hard way over many many years of building Rover engines.
I had by then already decided that with four people advising Valvoline VR1 mineral oil that was the way to go.

Whilst accepting fellow members advice I query why so many manufactures web sites recommend a 10-40 (or lower) semi or full synthetic. Castrol recommend Edge 5-40 full synthetic and my notes show every manufacture recommended an oil which has a low viscosity. I can only latch onto the conspiracy theory that the they just want to sell the most expensive oil regardless.
I don’t think using a semi synthetic version of the 20-50 or 20-60 is a problem as the viscosity is good.
The investigation had been both enlightening and confusing but in this case I prefer to take the advice of fellow members experience rather than someone quoting the company line.
Peter C
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I fully accept your apology, Peter!😉
I have always been concerned with my low oil pressure reading, generally 18-20psi unless pushing on, when it will read over 30psi.
This was indeed why I chose the 20/60 having spoken to the Millers rep...the pic of the FiA was a bonus!!
I’m only changing the oil annually which is around 3000 miles, and it’s still coming out virtually the colour it went in; Opie were offering oil analysis at last year’s Revival, and they declared my engine ‘healthy’ on 2000 mile old oil, so I’m happy with that.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, if you were struggling to get up to 30+ then the 20-60 was obviously the best bet.
I will be rechecking my oil pressures before and after adding the Valvolene.
Peter C