Engine Oil for Rover engines

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Engine Oil for Rover engines

Post by peterc »

We have a number of members who use the Rover engine so the question is what oil do you now use?
I have been using Mobile 2000S for a number of years but Mr Halfords appears not to stock it any more if their web site is to be believed.
I would prefer to stick with a major supplier and not one of the unknowns on offer from a number of Autofactors.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Engine Oil for Rover engines

Post by clive »

I have just sold my 2001 Range Rover Vogue 4.6 V8 and I used Castrol Edge FST 10W-60 from Euro Car Parts.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Clive
Interesting photo.
No tyre tracks behind the RR so have you just pulled the police car out of trouble?
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Well spotted. 😀
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Having investigated the Castrol Edge I find that it’s fully synthetic and £75 a can. Do you believe you can appreciate the benefits as it seems a bit expensive to be dumped every 2000 miles.
I normally use a semi synthetic 10-40 but it opens up a big debate as to what rating the oil should be.
Looking on reference charts with Halfords or Euro parts gives confusing info.
Further investigation needed.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I think the debate about oils, whether synthetic/semi synthetic or mineral, depends on the age of the engine. Mineral oils seem to be more suited to older engines where machining tolerances were not as high as modern engines. Also older type gaskets are better suited to older type oils as the modern additives can damage them. I would contact Millers Oils http://www.millersoils.co.uk/ and ask them what they recommend for the age of your engine.
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, in deed it does depend on the age of the engine and therefore it’s design and probably the state of tune.
I have contacted Millers and currently await their reply.

Viewing the forum ‘Pistonheads’ discussing Rover V8 engined cars some owners report tappet issues with fully synthetic Mobil 1 and yet one particular Rover V8 engine builder won’t give a warranty without the use of the full Ester oil.
Castrol recommend 5-40 or 10-60 fully synthetic and Mobil recommend Mobil1 5-50 fully synthetic or 0-40.
In my case being a 4.6 block it was revised by Rover in 1996 so is not really an old 1964 design per se.
My cousin apparently ran his 5.0 Rover engined Cobra on basic 20-50 Mineral oil which I have avoided for over 15 years.
Of course there is the consideration whether the engine is used for track days or not. Higher stresses involved in constant high revs and power demands clearly need a higher technical quality oil.

The good news is that Halfords do still stock the Mobil 10-40 part synthetic I have been using for over a decade and of course Mr Amazon sells it cheaper so I have a back stop regardless of my on going investigations.

I’ll post my findings into the Wiki for other Rover owners.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

Using 20W50 Lucas Mineral oil
Special customized BRA289
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Miller’s 20/60...the one with the 289FiA on the can!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

I have used 10W40 semi in my series Land Rovers for years. Most important is to use a good quality filter. And its better to buy a regular oil than a fancy one and change it every 2000 miles.