Capillary Oil Temperature Gauge

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Capillary Oil Temperature Gauge

Post by Homewood »

Has anyone fitted one of these to a Rover SD1 sump ? I think the sump plug is 3/4" unc. The sender is 5/8"unf.

Thanks
DavidA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Capillary Oil Temperature Gauge

Post by DavidA »

Hi there
Had this challenge several years ago. Ended up screwing the sender into the remote oil filter holder. It works fine and does not have to be disturbed when changing the oil.

Best Wishes DavidA
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Hi David

That's what I have but the oil temperature reading is very low hence wanting to move it where its closest to hot oil.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Mine is fitted into a brazed in bush on the side of the sump. I positioned it below where I estimated the oil level to be. My oil temp does run fairly cool. Circa 70-75 C and only when energetic driving in hog weather does it go above 85C.
My FIA model should really have an oil cooler but I didn’t see the point when the oil temp was not a problem.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks Peter seems my standard rover sd1 engine runs just under 80 degrees with the sensor in the remote oil filter so seems very little point moving it to the sump. I guess your sensor is on the opposite side of the drain plug ? I've just had problems getting a good seal on my sump cork one originally fitted started to leak so tried rubber but that squashed out and leaked the tried Dirko silicon and that seems to work which is good as I just had a new driveway fitted.

Regards
Tony
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Sounds like I need to try the Dirko silicone as a gasket. I have the usual drips collecting in a tray in the garage. Having just had a new resin driveway laid I to would want to avoid any spillages when the car is temporarily parked in front of the garage.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Well i find it works if you cover the same area as a gasket and use locktite on the back threads that oil can seep through. I ran a small amount around each screw hole and cut the tube applicator to put a bigger amount down the middle of the sump flange I also added a bit extra around the rear crank mount where the crucifix seals go. I think newer cross bolt engines need locktite on more threads.

Then screw up all screws a little until it appears to squeeze out then leave to set a day or two then tighten a little more. Google it. I am sure other methods work just that with cork and rubber they can squeeze out easily. Other option I was going to try is a composite gasket costs about £12 but postage is about the same.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I didn’t realise that some of the bolts needed to be sealed. I might try that first before changing to gaskets.
Peter C