Trimmer recommendations in Farnham area

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Trimmer recommendations in Farnham area

Post by amulheirn »

Hi all -

After looking at the new hood for some time with Richard last night, we decided to try to get it fitted professionally. Got the side screens in ok and put the studs across the back, but the prospect of glueing and sorting out the front where it attaches to the windscreen bows is a bit daunting.

So two questions:

1. Has anyone had a good experience with someone near-ish to Farnham that they could share? I've made enquiries at Mussells in Godalming, Trimmania (Wokingham) and Mike Thomas/Dave Strange in Petersfield.

2. Can anyone provide photos of how the side-screens are trimmed? This is a subject that seems not to be covered in my manual.

Many thanks!
Andy
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Trimmer recommendations in Farnham area

Post by peterc »

Andrew, you are of course welcome to view mine and take any photos that would help you. Getting the tension around the rear without kinking the corner windows would be an issue. I say that as even Polyfacto didn’t get mine perfect. It’s also important to get the hood down into the two valleys to try to avoid the leaks from water off the rear deck.
I have used Mussels but they only covered my dash, door cards and stitched my carpets after I cut out all the pieces. You can use my patterns if you like.
The hood and side screens were done by Polyfacto who you will know have disappeared.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Peter! I will see if I can get over to you next week - are you around?
Would be glad of the carpet patterns too, yes please...

Cheers,
Andrew
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Andrew, email sent to advise availability next week.
Peter C
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Hi Andrew, I can send you photos of my side screens although Gerry said they were made differently to his as my trimmer built a small fabric flange around the upper edge. This helped them fit perfectly, mate to the hood and keep the car pretty draught free so nice and warm even in winter. The trimmer I used was based in Worksop (Dave Winter).
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Also I did fit my own hood with help of 3 other pairs of hands including Phil Riley. We did a couple of trial fits, chalked centre lines, top screen edge etc, made sure we has equal amounts of hood either side to side catches. I covered the ends of hood bows with material first. Knowing the chalk lines on hood I glued the right portion of hood with high strength impact glue from a local car trimmer, lightly sanded the front of bows and glued them. And then 3 pairs of helping hands (one each side and one in centre) tensioned, I made sure of alignment and when certain folded hood leading edge onto bows. It was then a case of immediately de tensioning and then I took my time to glue and fold material into inner bow. I added an extra piece of reinforcing material in centre. And all in all it fitted really well. Helps if your helpers also have perfectionist tendencies and if you give all helpers the freedom to contribute to the fitting method/approach. One other tip - before you cut side screens to size double check the windscreen is exactly symmetrical. The manual measures from centre only. This risks a slight twist in screen. Check distance to right and left hand windscreen columns also identical. Gluing hood bows took under an hour to do. Fitting the lifts dots a bit more time - do one by one starting in centre using chalk to mark where hole will go then making sure the extreme ends are in equal position and then work out from centre. Large quantities of gaffer tape to hold in position while marking hole positions comes in useful!